2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2013 2:00 PM by philmodjunk

Having problems with File Sharing when worked previously

Title

Having problems with File Sharing when worked previously

Your post

We are having trouble with sharing (FMP 11).  I can get into FMP from my computer remotely if either of my co-workers are on but they cannot get in if I am on or if each other is on. We used to have no problem accessing at the same time.

I have looked at the sharing but and put it “ON” but still we cannot.

I have a new computer so could it be something that did or did not happen during the setup of my information? Prior to new computer and currently I am set up as Admin.

Any hints?

Thanks!!

• 1. Re: Having problems with File Sharing when worked previously

Sorry, posted the original post in the wrong place - file is actually on a network drive, not a server.

Additional info - All network sharing settings for hosting a file and second person remoting in are set as per FMP instructions. http://www.filemaker.com/help/html/sharing_data.15.3.html

?

• 2. Re: Having problems with File Sharing when worked previously
            philmodjunk

Does this mean that the first person is supposed to open the file using their copy of Filemaker and then additional users are to use Open Remote to access the file?

That's risky. For one thing it makes it easy for two users to attempt to open the file directly (each may think that they are the first user) at the same time and that can damage your database file.

It's also much safer to host the database with FileMaker Pro or Server installed on the same machine as where the file is phys8cally located--that copy of Pro or server can keep the file open 24/7 with the file located in a folder that is not shared. This then forces all users to use open remote to open the hosted file.

If you've been permitting direct access via a shared directory, even if only for the first user, I'd use Recover to check that file over for possible damage to the file.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

While Recover almost always detects and fully corrects any problems with your file...

1.           The recovered copy may behave differently even if recover reports "no problems found".
            3.           Recover does not detect all problems
            5.           Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
            7.           Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.

And here's a knowledgebase article that you may find useful: What to do when your file is corrupt (KB5421).