6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2014 11:10 AM by DanielMulford

Having trouble making offsite backups

DanielMulford

Title

Having trouble making offsite backups

Your post

I'm setting up a machine dedicated to FileMaker Server, and my plan was to make hourly local backups, using Server's built-in backup function, then to make nightly backups of that backup folder to a cloud storage service, so that if anything were to happen to our local data, we would still be O.K.

FileMaker Server's hourly local backups seem to be working just fine. Those backups are saved to a separate, dedicated drive labeled D:\ on the server machine. But, I've tried two separate online backup services (Microsoft Azure, and then CrashPlan), and both have the same result - they make backups of empty folders on the D:\ drive, and the .fmp12 files are nowhere to be found.

Can anybody explain what I'm doing wrong?

• 1. Re: Having trouble making offsite backups
          don39

1.  Examine your D:\ drive to see if the Filemaker backup folder and files are really there.  If not, you don't have FMS configured correctly to backup to the D:\ drive.

2.  Check to make sure your backup service is working as intended by putting a random file on your D:\  drive, do an instant backup, and then examine your backup files.

• 2. Re: Having trouble making offsite backups
            DanielMulford

I made a test backup of a folder called TestFolder with a .txt file that says "hello world". This worked properly.

I have a feeling that the backup services are having trouble with the FileMaker Server backups, because the folder names keep changing, because they correspond to the date and time of the backup. I think the back up client expects the folder hierarchy to be identical to when it is initially configured, and so it has trouble finding my files.

Is there any way I can set FileMaker Server to back up to a static folder hierarchy?

• 3. Re: Having trouble making offsite backups
              DanielMulford

After further testing, I don't think that my assumption in my previous post was correct... I tried making an instant backup, before Server had time to change the folder names, and it still didn't work. All the folders show up ("Hourly Backup_2014-07-01-1000", etc.), but they contain no FMP files.

• 4. Re: Having trouble making offsite backups
                don39

This seems to be a problem with your Filemaker backup configuration, and not a problem with your backup service. Go to this post to see how to solve this issue:  http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/9f50859b28

• 5. Re: Having trouble making offsite backups
                  RickWhitelaw

I would set up a directory on your computer. Let's say FM Backups. You set it up so that you save the normal backups to this folder and then set your off site backup to back up this folder/Directory. That way the off site backup always backs up this folder no matter what it contains.

• 6. Re: Having trouble making offsite backups
                    DanielMulford

I would set up a directory on your computer. Let's say FM Backups. You set it up so that you save the normal backups to this folder and then set your off site backup to back up this folder/Directory. That way the off site backup always backs up this folder no matter what it contains.

Yeah, this is what I was doing.

Progress update: I was able to get the backups working, by setting Windows Task Scheduler to automatically compress the backups into a ZIP archive before backup. The Windows Azure Backup client didn't seem to have any trouble with the ZIP file, so this is a decent solution for now.