8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2011 7:00 AM by mmccarty

HELP!!:  Web Publishing Engine Failed to start

mmccarty

Title

HELP!!:  Web Publishing Engine Failed to start

Your post

I'm using FM 11 Server Advanced on a desktop machine. (not ideal, I know but no money in budget for real server)  About every week I close my database, stop the server and restart the machine.  When I opened the admin console this morning, I could start the Database Server but the Web Publishing Engine won't start.  All I get is the message "Web Publishing Engine Failed to Start".  Without the engine going, I can't get to the web publishing configuration.  I tried restarting again, hoping it was just something that failed during start up, but no luck.  Basically, I have no idea why it isn't working or how to fix it.

Is anyone else having problems?  Is there a software update that messes with the web publishing engine?  Any ideas are very welcome!!

Thanks

• 1. Re: HELP!!:  Web Publishing Engine Failed to start
          TSDuck

Hi mmccarty:

Thanks for posting.

I will need to know some more information about your desktop computer.

What is the operating system, processor speed, and RAM running on your desktop machine?

Do you have any websites running on your machine through IIS or Apache?  FileMaker Server is designed to use a web server’s default configuration. 

Are ports 80, 16006, 16008, 16010, 16012, 16014,16016, and 16018 open on the desktop machine?  These ports need to be open for web publishing to function properly.

How many network adapters are running your machine?

If you have more then one network adapter, disable all but one of them, reboot, then launch the admin console.  From the admin console, select edit deployment and enable web publishing again.  Let me know if this helps with the issue.  I can suggest more detailed troubleshooting once I know more about the operating system you are running on.

TSDuck

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: HELP!!:  Web Publishing Engine Failed to start
            mmccarty

Good Morning TSDuck,

Thanks so much for answering my post!  FM Server is running on a desktop with a Windows Vista Business operating system (I know, not ideal at all but we don't have money in the budget for anything else) with 2.83 GHz operating speed and 8 Megs of RAM.  We don't have any websites like IIS or Apache on this machine.  As far as I know the ports you listed are open (I'm not sure where to look to confirm that). Since everything worked fine last week and the only two people with access to the machine didn't change the port configuration, I'm confident that those ports are still open.  Lastly, only one network adapter is currently running on the machine.

My databases are available to the division via FM and IWP.  I checked the databases published via IWP and everything appears to be working normally.  Do I only need the database server and not web publishing engine to use IWP?  If so, that would make my life a whole lot easier.

Thanks for your help

• 3. Re: HELP!!:  Web Publishing Engine Failed to start
              TSDuck

mmccarty:

Windows Vista Business does not meet the system requirements for FileMaker Server 11 Advanced.  The supported Windows operating systems are Windows 7 Professional, Windows Server 2003 Standard SP2, Windows Server 2008 R2, and Windows Server 2008 Standard SP2.  You can find the FileMaker Server 11 Advanced requirements at http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7638

You may want to upgrade to Windows 7 Professional, which is tested and certified for FileMaker Server 11 Advanced.  Do you have any other machines which have one of the supported operating systems I listed?  If you do, you may want to test running FileMaker Server 11 on that machine.

From your response, it also seems Instant web publishing is actually functioning for users?  If your users can access Instant web publishing, then the web publishing engine is actually running.  I would like you to verify that users can access databases through instant web publishing.  If they can, then the "Web Publishing Engine Failed to Start" error could be display related.  Try the following in the admin console to test web publishing deployment.

1.  Open the admin console
              2.  In the left hand column, select FileMaker Server Overview
              3.  On the right hand side should be a link that says, "Edit Server Deployment," so click this link.
              4.  In the deployment process, get to step 4 which asks you to enable web publishing.  Enable it and click next.
              5.  From the following window, make sure instant web publishing is checked, then click next.
              6.  Set deployment type to single machine and click next.
              7.  Select IIS as your web server and click next again.

These steps will set up your web publishing deployment.  Let me know if any errors come up during this process, or if IIS is not available as a choice for web server.

TSDuck
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: HELP!!:  Web Publishing Engine Failed to start
                mmccarty

IWP was working before I tried testing it.  I did steps 1-7 that you suggested and got the error message "Deployment/Configuration error-23 Web server entry already exists in the configuration file".  Now, IWP isn't working.  When I go to the webpage, I get Server error 404 file directory not found.

Any ideas on how to get IWP up again?

• 5. Re: HELP!!:  Web Publishing Engine Failed to start
                  TSDuck

mmccarty:

At this point, you should try using a clean configuration.  The error “Web server entry already exists” indicates there may be an issue with the default website in IIS.  Here are the steps for reinstalling FileMaker Server 11 Advanced and resetting IIS.  These steps will reset any websites running through IIS.

1. In the admin console, stop the database server.  After stopping the server, create a backup of your database files.  The databases can be found under C:\Program Files\FileMaker\FileMaker Server\Data\Databases\

2. Open the control panel, go to programs and features and choose uninstall a program.  Select FileMaker Server 11 Advanced to uninstall from the list.

3. Navigate to C:\Program Files\FileMaker\FileMaker Server\ and remove the FileMaker Server folder.

4. In the Control Panel, go to Programs and Features, click "Turn Windows Features on or off" on the left menu pane.  Uncheck the option for Internet information Services.

5. Reboot your computer.

6. In the Control Panel, go to Programs and Features, click the "Turn Windows Features on or off" on the left menu pane.  Now check the option for Internet information Services to reinstall it.

7. Run the FileMaker Server 11 Advanced installer from your CD or download to start the reinstall.

Let me know if resetting IIS resolves the web server entry error during deployment.

TSDuck

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: HELP!!:  Web Publishing Engine Failed to start
                    mmccarty

Is there something else we could try?  Last time we did a reinstall the system when haywire.  My boss spent a week on the phone with tech support and we had to pay our consultant to come out and get us going again.  Since our consultant will be at DevCon next week, I don't want to risk another melt down.

Thanks

• 7. Re: HELP!!:  Web Publishing Engine Failed to start
                      TSDuck

mmccarty:

Instead of reinstalling FileMaker Server 11 Advanced and resetting IIS, you can first try resetting IIS and leaving FileMaker Server alone.  Resetting IIS is going to use the same steps I listed in my last post.

1. In the Control Panel, go to Programs and Features, click "Turn Windows Features on or off" on the left menu pane.  Uncheck the option for Internet information Services.

2. Reboot your computer.

3. In the Control Panel, go to Programs and Features, click the "Turn Windows Features on or off" on the left menu pane.  Now check the option for Internet information Services to reinstall it.

4. Open the admin console and select edit server deployment and enable web publishing.

Let me know if any errors occur when you enable the web publishing during deployment.

TSDuck

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: HELP!!:  Web Publishing Engine Failed to start
                        mmccarty

Resetting IIS appears to have worked.  The web publishing engine is on and I can access databases via IWP.

THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!!