5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2013 1:56 PM by disabled_ntaylor

How to change the Backup directory location

demani

Title

How to change the Backup directory location

Your post

I used to be able to do this in old versions pretty easily, but I can't figure it out in FMS 11/12:

I keep a clone of the boot drive, and wan't to have FMS make a nightly copy to the active data folder on the other machine (I would just need to move the files into the data folder and restart FMS). Similarly I want to have a different backup run to a USB thumb drive.

Unfortunately I keep running into invalid path issues: I've got the trailing slash, but I just can't get any other folder to work than the regular Backups folder. Even tried to have the USB drive set to ignore permissions, but still no luck.

What am I missing?

FMS 12 on OSX 10.8.2

• 1. Re: How to change the Backup directory location

MV2011:

Thank you for the post.

Ignoring the permissions may be the issue. On Mac OS "the folder must be owned by the user fmserver (or in the group fmsadmin)."

Page 252 of the FileMaker Server 12 Help Guide contains "Tips for valid folders:

Note: The following information is for server administrators and group administrators. The folders you specify as a default backup folder, a progressive backup folder, and as an additional database folder must be valid.

• Specify a folder on a local volume, not on a remote volume. If you want to store database backups on a remote volume, first backup the database to a local volume, and then copy the backup to a remote volume. 

• Ensure that the folder has permissions set correctly so that FileMaker Server can read and write to the folder.
               (Mac OS) The folder must be owned by the user fmserver (or in the group fmsadmin). 

• Specify the folder as an absolute path: 

• Windows: The path you enter must start with filewin:/ and end with a slash (/). For example, filewin:/driveLetter:/folderName/ 

• Mac OS: The path you enter must start with filemac:/ and end with a slash (/). For example, filemac:/volumeName/folderName/ 

• The folder path cannot contain any characters or words reserved by the operating system. 

For example, the folder path cannot contain a colon (:) character on Mac OS, and the folder path cannot contain com1 on Windows.

• The default backup folder and progressive backup folder cannot be a parent or a subfolder of the default database folder, the additional database folder, or the Scripts folder. The additional database  folder cannot be a parent or a subfolder of the default database folder, the backup folder, or the Scripts folder. See Default folder settings."

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: How to change the Backup directory location
            demani

Well I have a USB stick mounted. I have enabled permissions, and changed the ownership:

servicesadmin$ sudo chown -R fmserver:fmsadmin /Volumes/FMSbackup/
            servicesadmin$ ls -al /Volumes/FMSbackup/

total 32
            drwxrwxrwx  9 fmserver  fmsadmin    374 Mar 11 15:39 .
            drwxrwxrwt@ 4 root      admin       136 Mar 11 15:39 ..
            -rw-rw-rw-@ 1 fmserver  fmsadmin  12292 Mar 11 15:40 .DS_Store
            drwxrwxrwx  5 fmserver  fmsadmin    170 Feb 11 17:17 .Spotlight-V100
            drwxrwxrwx@ 3 fmserver  fmsadmin    102 Feb 11 17:28 .Trashes
            drwxrwxrwx  3 fmserver  fmsadmin    102 Feb 12 15:12 .fseventsd
            drwxrwxr-x  3 fmserver  fmsadmin    102 Mar 11 15:39 Backups

But still unable to select /Volumes/FMSbackup/Backups/ as a valid backup destination. The ownership and permissions match what is on the normal Backup folder. So I'm not sure what is wrong.

• 3. Re: How to change the Backup directory location
              demani

Ah- and now on a whim I took out the /Volumes/ from the pathname. It really seems like this could be simpler-most people would put in the working pathname, not just starting at the volume name. The documentation example does show that, but all the emphasis is placed elseswhere (like the closing "/").

End result:

filemac:/Volumes/FMSbackup/Backups/ = BAD

filemac:/FMSbackup/Backups/ = GOOD

• 4. Re: How to change the Backup directory location

MV2011:

Thank you for the reply.

Can you take a screenshot of the "Get Info" window for the folder in question?

Does the "Sharing and Permissions" section match the screenshot below?

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: How to change the Backup directory location

MV2011:

Thank you for the update.

I am leaving my previous post as the screenshot may add to a future user's understanding of this issue. Thank you letting us know the resolution.

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.