4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2015 1:28 PM by RickWhitelaw

How to roll out a new version of my solution without affecting current records.

JimO'Connell

Title

How to roll out a new version of my solution without affecting current records.

Your post

Hey All,

I am new to Filemaker Server, so hopefully this will be an easy question for everyone.

I have gotten a solution up an running on a server for my company this last week, and for the most part everything about that process has gone quite well. But now that we are actively using our solution to run the business I am having trouble figuring out how to go about making updates to my solution.

I obviously don't want to work on the hosted file directly, for fear of breaking something important while I'm messing with things. But if I make a copy of the hosted file and work on that I run into the issue of losing records when I switch to the new solution, since the copy I pulled is now potentially a week or more old and the records are no longer up to date. 

Is there an easy way to get around this issue?

Let me know if you need me to explain better. I feel like I just typed a mess of words. 

Thanks

• 1. Re: How to roll out a new version of my solution without affecting current records.
          JZombie

It is possible but very tedious process.

Basically you would need to design a script that would import/export all records in your database. So that when you upload the "newly updated" database on FMS, you can run this script to update the records on the "newly updated" database with records from the old one. And this only works if you don't add new fields or modify any relationships. Making new or modifying layouts and adding or modifying new scripts should be fine as long as you don't include newly created fields or layouts that uses a new relationship.

Again, it's possible but very tedious process.

Good news is, you can work on the hosted file directly. That's how FileMaker is designed anyway.

Put it this way, if you're scared of breaking something important if you work on the hosted file directly, don't even think of doing anything that I just mentioned above. 

• 2. Re: How to roll out a new version of my solution without affecting current records.
            JimO'Connell

Hmmm, this surprises me, it would seem to me that this would be an important feature to have. 

So what is the recommended workflow for making changes to a solution? Do people generally duplicate anything they are working on and work on those duplicates? Do they go as far as making duplicate tables....although that would make working on scripts tedious I would think...

I guess my general attitude towards working on servers is to always work on a copy of the database that isn't currently being hosted, so this method of working is odd to me.

• 3. Re: How to roll out a new version of my solution without affecting current records.
              JZombie

Believe me, you're not the only person that's surprised.

I know what you mean. But it's perfectly safe to work on the database that is hosted.

Of course, you need to make backups just in case.

• 4. Re: How to roll out a new version of my solution without affecting current records.
                RickWhitelaw

It may be safe to work on a hosted database "live" but it's important to be absolutely certain no clients are logged in. Otherwise data loss is possible. And of course, as mentioned above, having at least one backup is essential. It's easy to disconnect all clients using the Admin Console, but that doesn't prevent a client from logging in again. A more secure way is to close all databases, download them, make changes then upload the revised databases via FMP client.