I have the same issue too! And I can only access the Admin Console from the server.
I've emailed FileMaker Support and sent them a few log files from my server machine on Friday; still waiting to hear back from them.
Let us know if you get it sorted.
This is what I just received back from FM Support.
I'll try it out at some point and see if it helps.
Thank you for contacting FileMaker Customer Support.
Our Level 2 has reviewed the logs you supplied.
They believe that just redeploying the Server setup may resolve the problem.
Should that not work, then please stop there server and web-server,
uninstall all Java versions from the machine
Answer Title: Java Troubleshooting
Answer Link: http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13466
and install the correct version of Java for FileMaker Server 14 ( 8u31)
You can find that version here:
When the new Java is installed, redeploy the server again.
Thank you very much for letting me know.
I will try this tonight and let you know if it works for me.
I have tried everything. I uninstalled all java. I than installed java from the link you attached and I than redeployed, I than removed all java again, I installed java from the fms installation files by clicking on repaid. I restarted the server and than tried to redeploy again. Still didn't help.
I don't think this is a java issue. Let me know what happens after you try.
This is the last email I had back from FMI:
After reviewing the data which you sent us, I would ask you to complete the following steps:
- Save Schedules and Groups in the Admin Console if needed
- Uninstall FileMaker Server 14
- Backup all databases, system scripts, Plug-Ins and other settings needed: Chapter 6: https://fmhelp.filemaker.com/docs/14/en/fms14_getting_started.pdf
- Remove the FileMaker Server folder and sub folders: ....Program Files\FileMaker\FileMaker Server\
- Uninstall the following from the Programs & Features Module:
- MS Application Request Routing
- IIS URL Rewrite Module
- Microsoft External Cache
- Microsoft Web Farm Framework
- Download and install the modules in the following order
- Web Farm Framework module version 1.0: http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/7/0/57065640-4665-4980-a2f1-4d5940b577b0/webfarm_v1.1_amd64_en_us.msi
- External cache module version 1.0: http://download.microsoft.com/download/3/4/1/3415F3F9-5698-44FE-A072-D4AF09728390/ExternalDiskCache_amd64_en-US.msi
- URL Rewrite module version 2.0: http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/7/D/67D80164-7DD0-48AF-86E3-DE7A182D6815/rewrite_amd64_en-US.msi
- ARR version 3.0: http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/3/D/63D67918-483E-4507-939D-7F8C077F889E/requestRouter_x64.msi
- Reinstall FileMaker Server 14
- Upload databases, place back plug-ins and restore other settings if needed
I've not tried it yet, because it's hard to find time when people aren't using it and when I'm awake!
Seems a bit drastic, so hopefully it'll solve my issues.
Thanks for posting the feedback you received.
I followed all those steps and it worked after.
Thanks soo much!!!
Don't waste your time with this, it took me 2 hours to do and after a few server restarts, I am back with the same issue.
After following the steps, it worked for awhile, than I upgraded the server to the newest version, I restarted the server, no issues. I was working on a filemaker file from the server for awhile and I decided to restart again just before logging off. This time, after the server restart, it reverted back to the same issue after the restart.
This is a temporary fix not a permanent solution!