3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2009 5:40 AM by voodark

I need help to choose our solution

voodark

Title

I need help to choose our solution

Your post

Hi, in our company we are clients of filemaker pro 8, and we allways stayed out of internet, but now we need share our database by the net without install the filemaker software in all of our pcs. I know that the instant web publishing is the best solution that fits us, but i dont underestand the diference using filemaker server (advanced because the normal one havent this utility) and filemaker pro, what adventages give us each solution?. In addition i wanted know if i can modify a filemaker file from a computer that havent this file, i mean that if a file is in the server, can i modify it from my office?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: I need help to choose our solution
          mrvodka

You will need FileMaker Server Advanced for IWP if you have more than 5 web users. If you have less then you can use a copy of FMP / FMPA.

You can modify your files on a server  by either taking down the server and locally modifying them ( the safer way to avoid corruption ), or you can remote to the server and work on them there ( less safe ).

• 2. Re: I need help to choose our solution
            TSGal

voodark:

Thank you for your post.

Instant Web Publishing with FileMaker Pro will only allow 5 internet users to access the file.  Instant Web Publishing with FileMaker Server allows 100 internet users to access the file.

Other than that, the functionality is the same.

With Instant Web Publishing and Network Sharing turned on, you can have internet users access the file as well as FileMaker Pro users access the file remotely.  Therefore, you can access the file from your office when the file is hosted in another location.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 3. Re: I need help to choose our solution
              voodark
                 Thanks for the information!!