1 2 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2015 7:36 AM by disabled_ntaylor

IIS Application Request Routing Error During Install

brammers

Title

IIS Application Request Routing Error During Install

Your post

Still having absolute nightmare of a time getting this software working...

I asked the server team at work to create me a brand new server, running 2008 R2. All working fine. Added IIS as a 'Role' - all working fine.

Tried to install FMS13 and it fails during the installation process with the following error message -

"IIS Application Request Routing (ARR) is required, but FileMaker Server was unable to download it. Either connect to the Internet and try again, or manually install IIS Application Request Routing (ARR)."

Well, i am definitely connected to the internet, so that isnt the issue.

Also, I tried manually downloading and installing ARR 3.0 (as 2.5 is no longer available) and it makes no difference at all.

Surely I cannot be the only one having this issue?

All and any advice or help would be greatly appreciated...

Ian.

• 1. Re: IIS Application Request Routing Error During Install
          sauer

I have the same error.....someone any idea?

• 2. Re: IIS Application Request Routing Error During Install
            mercuriotic

I also have the same error, any solution?

• 3. Re: IIS Application Request Routing Error During Install
              iCLINICIAN

Me too.  Have had a Windows Server expert look at it too who can't fix the problem.  He believes it's because FMS13 is built around ARR 2.5 which is no longer available as 3.0 has been released which he said is very different to 2.5.

• 4. Re: IIS Application Request Routing Error During Install

Ian Sanders, Frank Sauerbier, Jorge Marques, & Neil Manchester:

Thank you for the posts and I apologize for the delay.

Only one operating system was mentioned by four people in this issue report, Windows Server 2008 R2. Is that the operating system everyone is using?

To "manually" install ARR (Application Request Routing) 2.5, try the download located here.

Is everyone able to load the IIS splash page (independent of FileMaker Server 13)? To test, visit the following URL on the physical server:

http://localhost

If not, uninstall and reinstall IIS back to the default, and try the installation again.

If yes, does the issue persist after manually installing ARR 2.5 from the link above?

If the issue persists even after the manual install, post back to this thread and we can discuss further troubleshooting steps.

Additionally, here are some useful guides to read before installing FileMaker Server 13:

FileMaker Server 13 Getting Started Guide

"Windows: The FileMaker Server installer runs the Microsoft Application Request Routing (ARR) installer (which enables the IIS web server, if it isn’t already), creates its own website in IIS, and configures the website to use ports 80 and 443. Make sure no existing website uses these ports."

"If you do not have the Microsoft Application Request Routing (ARR) extension for IIS installed, the FileMaker Server installer downloads and installs it. If your machine cannot access the Internet, you need to download and install this extension manually before the installer can continue. If IIS is not enabled, the ARR installer will enable it.

For more information, see “Installation notes” on page 43."

FileMaker Server 13 Help

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: IIS Application Request Routing Error During Install
                  brammers

Hi TSFalcon... In answer to your questions -

Yes, I am currently using Server 2008 R2. I have also tried manually installing ARR (both 2.5, and 3.0) but this does not make any difference - the installation still fails.

IIS is working perfectly, I performed a fresh install on a clean server, and was able to access the splash screen before and after the failed installation attempts.

I am currently running every single Windows Update that is available, and will attempt the installation again as soon as this is done. I will of course post the results here.

If this fails again, I will ask my server team to do another fresh install on the VM but using Server 2012 this time.

Fingers crossed. I hope one of these methods works for me, but FileMaker really do need to look into this, as not everyone will be able to upgrade to Server 2012 etc etc...

• 6. Re: IIS Application Request Routing Error During Install
                    brammers

UPDATE -

* Complete fresh install of Server 2008 R2 SP1.

* ALL Windows Updates completed (inc. IE 11).

* Manual installation of ARR 2.5.

* Installation re-attempted. Has not failed at the ARR stage as before.

* Installation completed!

Just running through the Server Deployment now, but looking good....

Thanks again to TSFalcon for the link to the ARR 2.5 - upon inspection, it was slightly different to the one I tried before so I don't know if this was a factor, or if the Windows Updates were the root of the problem.

Either way, it's something for you other guys having trouble to check!

• 7. Re: IIS Application Request Routing Error During Install
                      brammers

Well, server works, but web publishing doesn't.

As soon as I start the Web Publishing Engine, I will get an error in the log - "Java Web Publishing Engine process has terminated abnormally."

I really thought I was getting somewhere!!! :-(

• 8. Re: IIS Application Request Routing Error During Install
                        brammers

Really had enough of this now. Even when the WPE stopped misbehaving, WebDirect still said it was disabled, even though it was ticked etc. Looks like its due to problems with the way it configured IIS (which was a completely default / fresh installation).

Rebuilding the server to 2012, will let you know what happens. Don't hold your breath.

This has to be the worst experience i've EVER had with any FM software, going right back to FM5.

• 9. Re: IIS Application Request Routing Error During Install
                          iCLINICIAN

I had issues with this all night.  My server expert managed to get FMS13 working by removing a config file which he felt was causing the problem but this then prevented WebDirect from working.

Solution....I have upgraded the server to Windows 2012 and everything has installed correctly including WebDirect

• 10. Re: IIS Application Request Routing Error During Install
                            brammers

Hi Neil, I admitted defeat and did exactly the same. I've just finished the install / deployment this very minute.

All working perfectly on Server 2012, straight out of the box, no messing about.

Maybe the Server 2008 R2 entry in the 'System Requirements' section needs an asterisk against it???

* - saying - use this server version if you wish to spend 24 hours pulling your hair out, and inventing new swear words. Hehe

• 11. Re: IIS Application Request Routing Error During Install
                              JohnBurwell

When running the installer, be sure to right-click and "Run as Administrator." 

• 12. Re: IIS Application Request Routing Error During Install
                                dbail22@comcast.net

The only way I was able to fix this problem was to completely remove anything from the server that FMServer 13 would install.  I then went to the add/remove windows features and turned off Internet Information Services and restarted the Server.  I also uninstalled Java 32 bit and 64 bit and I then turned on the IIS options and again restarted the server.  From that point the FM Server correctly installed the "IIS URL Rewrite Module 2" Java and the setup proceeded to completion.

This took me two days and dozens of other tries. I would be interested to know if this works for anyone else or it just happened to work for me.

David

• 13. Re: IIS Application Request Routing Error During Install
                                  aaparvez

SOLVED:

1) Unistall ARR 3.0 if already installed. (Go to control panel>>Uninstall Program>>ARR 3.0) [image attached]

2) Then install ARR 2.5 from here (http://blogs.iis.net/wonyoo/archive/2011/04/20/how-to-install-application-request-routing-arr-2-5-without-web-platform-installer-webpi.aspx)

Cause of the issue:

Filemaker server 2013 works with IIS ARR V2.5 but not V3.0 . BUt now a days what we download from internet is IIS ARR 3.0.

Hope this will solve other issues like me. Thanks

• 14. Re: IIS Application Request Routing Error During Install
                                    alternapop

Uninstalling AAR 3.0 worked for me.  I didn't have to manually install AAR 2.5.   The FMS installer did it for me.

The error message that FMS spits up during installation is rather confusing and needs to be changed.

1 2 Previous Next