7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2009 9:24 PM by kapitaen_1

IIS vs. FM

yetanotherwebaccount

Title

IIS vs. FM

Your post

Folks, I'm really having a hard time getting going with FM Server. I have FM Server 10 Advanced, installed on a PC (ugh) running Windows Vista with SP1. 

I can't seem get web connections to go to the database.

If I open a browser and connect (either remotely using the machine name or IP, or on the machine using localhost), it only pulls up the default IIS welcome page. 

If I go to localhost or the machine name or the IP with /fmi/iwp/ appended to the end, then it prompts me to download an unknown file named IWP.  

In the Server Admin panel, I have IWP turned on and I have green lights across the board.  

FMPro worked great - very easy - but I wanted the greater than 5 simultaneous web connections.

Any ideas or suggestions (other than "get a Mac" - when I can, I do).  

• 1. Re: IIS vs. FM
          mrvodka
             First are you using IWP or CWP? Second, are you able to bring up the sample served file using the "Test Page" ( you can find it under the FMS Admin console menus)
          • 2. Re: IIS vs. FM
            yetanotherwebaccount

I'm using IWP (or trying to...). I don't know what CWP is (I see that there are XML, PHP, XSLT...). 

In the FM Server Admin Console, under Administration, then Databases, I see the FMServer_Sample.fp7 database listed, with checkmarks across the board, and a status of normal. 

If I click on the button to open the test page, it goes to [IP]:16000/test, and a page opens up with links, including one to test IWP by opening the sample database. However, if I click on that, a dialog box opens up prompting me to save a file named cgi... 

• 3. Re: IIS vs. FM
              mrvodka
                 What does the error exactly say.
              • 4. Re: IIS vs. FM
                yetanotherwebaccount

I'm not sure what error message you are referring to. Attempting to connect via a browser simply brings up the default IIS page. 

Frustrating...

• 5. Re: IIS vs. FM
                  mrvodka
                     The dialog referencing the cgi.
                  • 6. Re: IIS vs. FM
                    yetanotherwebaccount

Ah, it says:

File Download - Security Warning

Do you wnt to save this file, or find a program online to open it?

Name: cgi

Type: Unknown File Type, 233KB

[ FIND ] [ SAVE ] [ CANCEL ]

While files from the internet can be useful, some files can potentially harm your computer. If you do not trust the source, do not find a program to open this file or save this file. What's the risk? 

____________________________________________________________

The IP address, of course, is just the server. The browser is running on the server, pointing to 10.16.53.188:16000/test. The link on that page to test IWP points to 10.16.53.188/fmi/cgi?-db=FMServer_Sample&-startsession 

• 7. Re: IIS vs. FM
                      kapitaen_1

some wild guessing ...

how many web sites are on your vista machine? more than one? if yes, filemaker server only can install itself in the *first* website that appears in the list shown in your iis managemant concole. in this case, make the first website to fit to your filemaker server, then re-install filemaker server and test again with the first website.

but pay caution ... de-installing and re-installing filemaker server resets your iis to a state *before* having fms installed. so don´t wonder that after deinstalling and reinstalling fms changes to your iis have changed.

greetings from germany

chris