3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2009 8:17 AM by philmodjunk

Implement offline-developed files on server

pvhaute

Title

Implement offline-developed files on server

Your post

Hi,

I frequently develop offline (in FM9Adv), and then want to implement my changes on the server-version.

Is there somewhere a list of instructions (perhaps with screenshots as well) available of how to achieve this? (i just want to make sure that i don't do anything wrong)

Thank you,

StPeter

• 1. Re: Implement offline-developed files on server
          philmodjunk

1. Do whatever is necessary to insure no user is currently updating the served file. (Close the file on server, wait until after office hours, whatever)
          2. Take a clone of your updated file.
          3. Import all records from the current copy into your updated copy. Use the matching field names option.
          4. Reset any serial number settings to be greater than the largest serial number file present. (This step can be scripted.)
          5. Remove the old file from the server.
          6. Upload the replacement.

• 2. Re: Implement offline-developed files on server
            pvhaute

Thank you PhilModJunk,

Any chance to describe me how to make the dbase unavailable for users through the FMServer Console?

rgds,

StPeter

• 3. Re: Implement offline-developed files on server
              philmodjunk

Using FMS 10:

1. Click databases
              2. Click, ctrl-click, or shift-click to select the database files you want to update.
              3. Select Close from the actions menu.
              4. Click perform action.
              5. If there are any clients logged on, you can then send them a message and give them a set amount of time until you kick them off.
              6. After you've replaced the files with updates, Select them and choose "Open" to make them available over the network.