2 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2013 5:51 PM by jacksrmd

Import using path on the server in script.

JasonH

Title

Import using path on the server in script.

Your post

I'm starting to think there isn't a way to do this but maybe someone has a neat trick. I'm using FMS10 on my web server. Via an action within filemaker the web server builds and saves a text file. I can put the file anywhere on the web server. What I would like is to have a script step run via a button that will import a file from the server. Here's the flow:

User connects to FMS via remote FMP and uses the built in browser.

A text file is created on the server.

User clicks a button in filemaker and the text file is imported.

I can do all of this if I create a network drive but I'd prefer to save having to do that. Any trickery to do an import with a path relative to the server files? I see you can setup a timed script on the server that will do this, but I need it on command.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Import using path on the server in script.
          TSGal

Jason H:

Thank you for your post.

A Server side script cannot be executed by a client.  You would have to go into Admin Console, select Schedules, select the particular schedule and execute "Run a Schedule now".

Another option would be to have the text file built on the local drive (or network drive), and then followed by an import, which you already mentioned you don't want.

Please enter this into our Feature Suggestion web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/feature_request.html

I could copy your post and paste it into the web form, but there are additional questions asked that only you can answer.

When entering the suggestion, please explain why you need this to occur.  I have noticed that Development and Product Management tend to pay more attention to these requests when there are real-life examples. 

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Import using path on the server in script.
            jacksrmd

I have need of this ability with FM 12 Server Advanced.

Is it possible to perform this action FM 12 Server Advanced with a Scheduled Script at a specific time?

The procedure I was going to use has the script

FIND ALL, DELETE ALL,

Import a text file that is saved in a director on the Server, everyday Tuesday - Saturday @ 1:00 AM