Thank you for your post.
Can you tell me more about the fields that can't be edited? Are there any access privileges set limiting access? Are these Text fields? Portals? Does it work in FileMaker Pro? Are there any script triggers? How many fields do you have? How many fields cannot be edited? Is Server running on Mac or Windows? Which OS version? What machines are the clients running?
Any other information you can provide may be helpful in narrowing down the possible causes.
The database was created on FileMaker Pro 9. A user account is set up with custom priviledges. The user has rights to view and edit fields and Field Access=all. Two layouts are view only with records=modifiable, the remaining layouts are no access. Value lists are All view only. Some scripts are executable only, the rest are no access.
The fields are text and 3 have drop down lists associated with value lists. There are a total of 28 fields in the layout. 12 have their field behavior set so that they cannot be entered in Browse mode, but can be entered in Find mode. The remainder have no special behavior. There are no script trigger or portals. Everything works fine in FileMaker Pro.
The server is running on Mac OS X server v.10.4.1. Client machines are running either Windows XP SP3 or Mac OS X v5.7 and the browsers are Safari 4.0.3, Firefox 3.5.2 and Internet Explorer 8.0.6.
I was mistaken about the version of FileMaker Server. We are running FileMaker Server Advanced 7.3.
Thanks for your help.
Thank you for the additional information.
If it works in FileMaker Pro but not in Instant Web Publishing using the same access privileges, then either there is a script step that is incompatible (which I doubt), or there is something on the layout that FileMaker is sending to the browser incorrectly. Probably the best course of action at this point is to send me a copy of the file. I have sent you a private message (top of this page - right side - X Messages) with instructions where to send the file.
There is a rectangle framing some of the fields. I discovered the problem can be largely fixed by going into layout mode, selecting the rectangle and sending it to the back.
The problem is not completely fixed, but good enough for users to be able to navigate the database.