4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2010 2:47 PM by TSGal

Installation does not work all I get is a blank screen of Deployment Assistant?

j_rameses

Title

Installation does not work all I get is a blank screen of Deployment Assistant?

Your post

We were having problems with our first installation of FMS9 because the upload database and other links failed to work.  It gave us an error message, so we decided to uninstall the software and do a clean install.  I made three attempts but it continues to freeze up on a blank screen where it says "Deployment Assistant".

The page before it says  "Filemaker Server Admin COnsole is starting.  The Deployment assistant will guide you through the remaiining steps required to deploy FileMaker Server 9. Please wait.

Click here if the admin console did not launch automatically."

What do I do?  We need to be able to access the databases on the network as soon as possible.

• 1. Re: Installation does not work all I get is a blank screen of Deployment Assistant?
          j_rameses

the problem was a Java update.

Update 10 or 11 do not work with FMS9.

You'll need to disable it bygoing to COntrol Panel, Java,Java,Java applet runtime settings (view) uncheck the java 10 or 11.

If there is a 12 and Installation does not work uncheck it as well and then hit restart.

These were the directions per TEch support that costs me $45.00.

I hope this will help others out there.

• 2. Re: Installation does not work all I get is a blank screen of Deployment Assistant?
            monkeymissile

Hi Joshua,

I am having the same problem with my installation of FM9 Server, but didn't see a tab for Java Applet runtime settings. What OS/server are you using? I'm on Windows Server 2003. THanks.

justin 

• 3. Re: Installation does not work all I get is a blank screen of Deployment Assistant?
              helios

Fixed my problem too!  Was getting a totally blank grey screen with nothing on it and no error messages or dialog boxes anywhere, just like everybody else.  I rolled back my Java from (Java 6 Update 17) to (Java 6 Update 6)  (1.6.0_17 to 1.6.0_6).

I rolled back Java by disabling Update 17 in (CtlPnl-Java-Java Tab-View) by unchecking the 1.6.0_17 line, as JoshuaG said.  (I didn't have to uninstall Java 16 Update 17.)  I also disabled in IE8 via (Tools-Internet Options-Programs-Manage add-ons-ToolBars and Extensions-All add-ons drop-box-Right-click line Java Plug-in 1.6.0_17).  Did not have to do anything special for Firefox 3.5.6.  Not sure if the browser changes were really necessary, but I shotgunned it.  (That is, I was not sure if disabling a version of Java in Ctl-Pnl applies to the browser plugins too, which may be separate executables.)

Windows Server 2003 R2 Std Ed running at SP2. IE 8.0.6001.18702.  Firefox 3.5.6.  Filemaker Advanced Server 9 (9.0.3.326).

Thank you JoshuaG for saving us a lot of time hassling w/tech support (and money)!   Why are there always issue wit Java?!

• 4. Re: Installation does not work all I get is a blank screen of Deployment Assistant?
                TSGal

All:

Sorry for the late reply.

The Admin Console for FileMaker Server 9 is a java app, and it will only work with Java 6 Update 7 or earlier.  There is no restriction with FileMaker Server 10.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.