9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2009 7:57 AM by TSGal

Installation troubles with FileMaker 10 Server on SBS 2003 SP2

thepagedesigner

Title

Installation troubles with FileMaker 10 Server on SBS 2003 SP2

Your post

I looked through the posts and didnt see anything that applied, but I may have missed something.
      Any help would be greatly appreciated!
      After completing the installation of FMS10, with a check mark next to "start deployment assistant"
      I get a screen in my browser that says "Please wait while server admin starts" and I can see the status bar cycling between "connecting to local host" and "done", I have waited hours, uninstalled,reinstalled and nothing. I have used this command "netsh firewall set 16000 enable" to all ports listed in the setup guide. Uninstalled/reinstalled java and disabled v11, installed php5 but did not set up sever.

If I didnt not provide enough information to troubleshoot please let me know, I am really hurting here and am probably just being stupid.

Thanks in advance for any help<!-- POLLS --><!-- FILES --><!-- SIGNATURE -->

• 1. Re: Installation troubles with FileMaker 10 Server on SBS 2003 SP2
          philmodjunk
             While making a tech support phone call on other issues, I asked them about SBS. I was told that FMS is not compatible with SBS. If you access the Knowledge Base, you can find and print out an article listing the hardware and software requirements for FMS 10.
          • 2. Re: Installation troubles with FileMaker 10 Server on SBS 2003 SP2
            dbrowdy

I have the same problem here.  I searched the forum and found it two places and both times I've seen this response from PhilModJunk.  Has anybody confirmed this?  It's Sunday or I'd be on the phone with them right now. 

The reason I ask is that I've seen the SAME problem reported on a Mac system and people are being very helpful in trying to get it going.  I don't see why SBS shouldn't work when Win 2k3 Server works just fine.  As far as I know, it's pretty much the same thing.  I can't believe that it's so different that this won't work...or at least I won't until it's proven to me.

Anyhow, I'm sorry if I come across as rude or whatever.  I'm just pressed for time and being in here on a Sunday to install this EXPENSIVE software only to find it doesn't work with a common version of Windows...well, it's got me a little on edge.  Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks,

D

• 3. Re: Installation troubles with FileMaker 10 Server on SBS 2003 SP2
              TSGal

All:

Small Business Server installs with Sharepoint, which kills FileMaker web publishing.  Therefore, remove Sharepoint.

Your symptoms of the server admin taking hours and never connecting is usually a port issue or a Java issue, but it looks like you have both covered.

Are you hosting any other web sites in IIS?  FileMaker recommends a dedicated server for FileMaker Server and whatever was modified in IIS to host other web sites could be causing the issue where the start page is not redirecting to the java applet that begins server deployment.

I'm not sure where the problem lies at this point.  However, I would do the following:

Uninstall/Remove FileMaker Server

Remove IIS

Reboot the machine

Reinstall IIS

Reboot the machine again

Reinstall FileMaker Server

This gives me a solid starting point in case it fails again.

PhilModJunk - The information you received from Technical Support was incorrect.  I could not find any reference to your phone call, so I'm not sure who was the technician.  If you remember his/her name, please send me a private message.  I know it sounds like you are selling someone out, but we just want to make sure the technician has the right information.

dbrowdy - I'm sorry you are having the same problem on the Mac.  Again, it appears to be either a port problem or a Java problem.  Make sure you have the right ports set up and correct version of java installed.  Try the steps above.  If you have already spoken with Technical Support and received a solution, let us know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Installation troubles with FileMaker 10 Server on SBS 2003 SP2
                philmodjunk

TSGal wrote:

All:

Small Business Server installs with Sharepoint, which kills FileMaker web publishing.  Therefore, remove Sharepoint.

The information you received from Technical Support was incorrect.  

Since we do not publish any part of our systems to the web, we then should be able to uses SBS as is? I wish I'd known that sooner. We just purchased a new server with Winserver 2008 precisely because we understood SBS to be incompatible with FMS server.

I recommend updating the sysem requirements Knowlege Base article for FMP to include this information.

• 5. Re: Installation troubles with FileMaker 10 Server on SBS 2003 SP2
                  dbrowdy

TSGal, Thank you very much!  This is what I was hoping to hear!  As soon as I can track down the Windows CD here, I'll try the steps you suggested. (BTW, I'm not on a Mac, I'm on Win2k3 SBS).  I appreciate your helpful response!

D

• 6. Re: Installation troubles with FileMaker 10 Server on SBS 2003 SP2
                    TSGal

PhilModJunk:

The System Requirements does not list SBS because we did not test it.  Having talked with others, we have no plans to test it, and therefore, we we will not list it in the System Requirements Knowledge Base article (7152).  However, even with that said, we do have a number of people who are successfully running FileMaker Server 10 under SBS once Sharepoint is removed.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Installation troubles with FileMaker 10 Server on SBS 2003 SP2
                      philmodjunk

TSGal wrote:

However, even with that said, we do have a number of people who are successfully running FileMaker Server 10 under SBS once Sharepoint is removed.

That doesn't fully answer my question: If we don't use web publishing, would we need to remove Sharepoint?

• 8. Re: Installation troubles with FileMaker 10 Server on SBS 2003 SP2
                        dbrowdy

WOO!  I got it going!  Thanks TSGal!!

I removed all Java from my system and reinstalled the version 7.

I tried to open firewall ports but realized I wasn't running the Windows Firewall.

I removed Sharepoint...poorly...

I followed these directions to remove it correctly.  TIP:  Follow EVERY LAST STEP!  It won't work otherwise!  Reboot after the last step.

I appreciate the help!

• 9. Re: Installation troubles with FileMaker 10 Server on SBS 2003 SP2
                          TSGal

PhilModJunk:

In theory, if you don't use web publishing, you don't need to remove Sharepoint.

I know that doesn't fully answer your question, but you should remember that users only contact us when they have a problem.  People don't contact us to say, "I just had a few minutes to kill and wanted to let you know that I don't have any FileMaker problems."  I think you get the idea...

All cases from users who have reported problems with SBS, seem to always involve web publishing.  Once Sharepoint was removed, it has run.

Considering this was never tested in house, this appears to work successfully when Sharepoint is removed.  That's the best I can do for now.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.