5 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2010 4:57 PM by philmodjunk

Installed FileMaker Server 5 but don't know where to input existing Database...Help!

techlabco

Title

Installed FileMaker Server 5 but don't know where to input existing Database...Help!

Your post

The machine that was hosting the FileMaker Server 5 blew out it's HardDrive and Motherboard. We have built a new machine and reinstalled Filemaker. We restored all the FileMaker Server files from a Backup Server.

The template that is used to facilitate the files is there but when we double-click it, it searches and cannot find the database files.

Now, my logic is to copy the database that was restored into the new installation directory where the template resides. The template is the only file in this folder at the moment. Is it as simple as copy/pasting the database files into the directory where the template resides or is there another way to do this?

We CANNOT risk data corruption as we know that this can happen if we do the wrong process.

Anyone have any ideas/experience performing this?

I can provide any technical information is it is necessary.

Will be online awaiting the knowledge of this forum! Thanks in advance!!

EXPERIENCE:

NONE

SPECS:

Windows 7 32bit

AMD X2 3.1ghz

2gb Corsair RAM

RAID 1 (2x 500gb Hitachi Drives)

• 1. Re: Installed FileMaker Server 5 but don't know where to input existing Database...Help!
          philmodjunk

WIth Filemaker Server 5, I believe you should be able to just get the file into the right folder on the server and server should open and host the files auotmatically.

As with any database, make and keep lot's of back up files. That should be SOP.

• 2. Re: Installed FileMaker Server 5 but don't know where to input existing Database...Help!
            techlabco

So, what folder would be considered the right folder?

After looking at your instructions I realized that the template we use is actually in the directory of the Filemaker Pro. I have to reinstall the FileMaker Server because what was restored is not a working application. When I install it, do I move over the template into Filemaker Server 5 or do I somehow direct it?

• 3. Re: Installed FileMaker Server 5 but don't know where to input existing Database...Help!
              philmodjunk

I'm going by memory about a system that I haven't touched in nearly two years as we've upgraded to server 10.

For this version of filemaker, there's a folder where you place all such files, I don't remember the name of this directory. It might be something as simple as a folder named "Filemaker Server". WIth that version, you had to either place the files or a shortcut to the files in the directory and then filemaker server would automatically open the files in that folder when it started up.

I'd open up filemaker server on your server machine and look at the directories. If you put the files in the wrong folder, nothing happens, you just won't be able to access the files across the network so you can safely do a bit of trial and error here until you get the right folder.

• 4. Re: Installed FileMaker Server 5 but don't know where to input existing Database...Help!
                techlabco

Thanks! As soon as we can get the serial number from the original tech guy--I will be doing this! So, question in regards to this. It seems that corruption seems to be a recurring side-effect of moving files around too much. Just what I seem to be getting the vibe from. Is there anything I should avoid doing so I can prevent this potential?

Also, and this may be a matter for a different post (if so, please move to) but if we can't obtain serial number, we are considering upgrading to v11. Would I need to deploy FileMaker 11 on all 6 machines and FileMaker Server v11 on host machine? Or can I just get FileMaker Server v11 on host machine and will my client pc with FileMaker v5 be able to read the database that was made in v5 which would now in be in v11?

If so, do I need to covert v5 database to v11 database or would it be a native "read"?

Thanks! :)

• 5. Re: Installed FileMaker Server 5 but don't know where to input existing Database...Help!
                  philmodjunk

As long as your files are closed first, simply moving them from one location to another should not corrupt your file.

If you upgrade to 11, you'll need to upgrade your client machines to 11 as well. The file format has changed and your filemaker 5 machines won't be able to connect to the hosted files.

In addition, you'll have to convert all your files from filemaker 5 to 11. This is not a trivial change. You may find that you have a number of scripts to correct and if you have any text fields that are used in relationships, you may need to clean up your data as spaces and punctuation characters index differently. If I were you, I'd download the filemaker 11 trial and see how well the files convert to the new format.

Here's a knowledge base article with more on the subject:

http://filemaker.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a _id/750