9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2010 11:02 AM by jazminstewart

Invalid backup destination

dbrowdy

Title

Invalid backup destination

Your post

Okay here's a weird one.  I installed FMS 10 last night on my Win 2k3 SBS machine.  After uninstalling Sharepoint, everything went smoothly.  I uploaded my database to the server and then seup a backup.  The backup ran fine when I forced it.  When it was time to run the scheduled backup, it failed giving me this error: 

"Schedule "BN Daily Backup" aborted; unexpected error. (11)"

"Backup aborted. Invalid backup destination: "filewin:/e:/vol1/FileMaker/Data/Backups/"."

The odd thing about this error is that I ran the backup once already to this location and it worked fine.  Now I try and it doesn't work.  I forced it again and same error.  I created a new backup schedule and forced it and same error.

The one thing that changed that I can think of is that I originally had the database on the C: drive in the default location.  However, once I discovered that I could have the db on the E: drive, I moved it there instead.  I may have run the original backup with the db on the C: drive, but I can't say for certain.

Can anyone help with this?  I'm not sure why it would work once and then stop.  Oh and I checked and there's plenty of free space on the E: drive.

TIA,

D

EDIT - Oh and for reference, the FM db is stored in "filewin:/e:/vol1/FileMaker/Data/" and the backup is ina subdirectory of that folder, as shown above.

• 1. Re: Invalid backup destination
          ErichWetzel

Just in case, check the permissions on the destination folder.  Unfortunately, I am not sure what they should be on a PC.  We had a similar problem on a non-default backup location on our Mac system until we adjusted the ownership and permissions on the destination folder to be the same as the default location. 

• 2. Re: Invalid backup destination
            dbrowdy

I'll double check that the permissions didn't change but I can't really see how that would have happened.  Remember, it worked once and I didn't change anything and it stopped working.

EDIT - Double checked and the ownership and permissions are identical on both folders.

• 3. Re: Invalid backup destination
              philmodjunk

When you check the schedule settings for your does it show the back up path as "valid" there?

I'd also try creating a brand new schedule and see if the new schedule works.

You might also try moving your back up location to a different directory so there aren't so many directory names in your back up file path. I don't see why that would fix the problem, but sometimes simplifying helps.

I assume your drive has lot's of free space?

• 4. Re: Invalid backup destination
                dbrowdy

PhilModJunk wrote:

When you check the schedule settings for your does it show the back up path as "valid" there?

I'd also try creating a brand new schedule and see if the new schedule works.

You might also try moving your back up location to a different directory so there aren't so many directory names in your back up file path. I don't see why that would fix the problem, but sometimes simplifying helps.

I assume your drive has lot's of free space?

Yup, got a valid path.

Tried making a brand new schedule, same problem.

I can try moving the backup dir.  Still, don't forget that it worked once and then stopped.  Can't see how this would make a difference...but I'll try it!

I have enough free space for over 200 backups of this database.  I have it set to save seven.

Thanks for the tips.  I'll let you know if moving the backup location helps.

• 5. Re: Invalid backup destination
                  philmodjunk
                     One other possibility: Is E: a mapped drive to another location on the network? If so, that's your problem. FMS won't back up to other locations over the network.
                  • 6. Re: Invalid backup destination
                    dbrowdy

PhilModJunk wrote:
                    One other possibility: Is E: a mapped drive to another location on the network? If so, that's your problem. FMS won't back up to other locations over the network.

E: is a physical RAID drive on the same server.  As far as Windows knows it's a local hard drive.  And again, it did actually work once.  Then it stopped.  It wouldn't have worked the first time if this were the issue.  

I appreciate the suggestions!  Keep em coming.  :smileyhappy:

TSGal, you there?  Any official word on this?

• 7. Re: Invalid backup destination
                      TSGal

dbrowdy:

This isn't an easy one, as there are many variables involved.  Plus, you were able to do this at one time.

I'd like to try and remove as many variables possible and add them back in one at a time.

1. Close all files on FileMaker Server.

2. Using FileMaker Pro, create a new file with one field and one record.  I'm doing this to just have one basic file to work with.

3. Turn on Network Sharing and all access for that file.

4. Quit FileMaker Pro, and copy the file over to FileMaker Server.

5. Launch FileMaker Server and only open the newly created file.

6. Create a NEW backup schedule, and have it only backup this one file to the E: drive.  At this point, I want a new schedule just in case the old one is corrupt.

7. Run the script.  If this doesn't work, then it is either FileMaker Server, or the permissions to where you want to save the backup is not set to Read & Write.  If you can verify that the directory is set for Read & Write, then I would uninstall and reinstall FileMaker Server.

8. Assuming the NEW backup script worked, disable it, and enable the original backup script.  Execute the script.  If this works, then start opening/adding database files to FileMaker Server.  If it doesn't work, then your old schedule is corrupt.  Replace it with the new one.

This is a good starting point.  Continue to keep me updated.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 8. Re: Invalid backup destination
                        dbrowdy

PhilModJunk wrote:

Well it seems this did the trick.  I moved the backup directory from "filewin:/e:/vol1/FileMaker/Data/Backups/" to "filewin:/e:/vol1/FileMaker/Backups/".  My only guess as to why this may have made a difference is that "...Filemaker/Data" is the directory containing the database (it's my alternate storage location as specified in the server console).  I took it out of there and it has worked when forced and on schedule.

Thanks for the help and suggestions!  They were MUCH appreciated.

• 9. Re: Invalid backup destination
                          jazminstewart

That's the answer...

Don't know if it's documented or not. But it will Validate the Path. But will not create the Backup if the Backup folder is inside the Database folder. No matter the Secuity or other stuff.