4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2014 10:27 AM by plbcms

Is port 443 the only problem?

plbcms

Title

Is port 443 the only problem?

Your post

I have installed FileMaker 13.0.3 Server on Windows Server 2012 (datacenter) and I am running into some problems.

The installation went fine and reported no problems but:

1.           Accessing the box locally or remotely, I cannot open either the start page or the test page from the admin console;
      3.           From a client copy of FileMaker 13 Adv. running on my Mac, I can open the sample database that comes with server BUT I did have to add an inbound rule to the windows firewall opening port 5003 before this would work—so obviously the FMS installation process did not go completely without at least 1 silent error;
      5.           When I try to upload a file to the server via sharing, I get a Connection Failed error.  According the documentation this is caused by port 443 being inaccessible on the server (or because nothing is listening to it). I port scanned the box and 443 is not responding; I looked in the windows firewall and the default rule for 443 (https traffic) is enabled; I temporarily turned off the win firewall and still could not connect (which makes me wonder if nothing is actually listening on port 443); I ran netstat and it shows 443 as an open port on 0.0.0.0:443 (with PID 4, the system) but when I run TCPView it reports it as blocked.  I even double-checked that the FileMaker server web app is properly bound to 443 in IIS AND reinstalled everything and still no luck.

At this point I am out of ideas. Has anyone else run into this problem? Can any one help?

Thanks,

Pete

• 1. Re: Is port 443 the only problem?
          RickWhitelaw

Just a stab in the dark here, but could this be a port forwarding issue on your router? Is there a router in the mix?

• 2. Re: Is port 443 the only problem?
            plbcms

Rick, thanks.

Yes there is a router in the mix and the port forwarding issue occurred to me as well. The box is managed by the university’s IT department and they assure me that 443 is clear all the way through.

The current idea I am exploring is that the default SSL cert that comes with FMS is inadequate (I seem to recall a mention in the server set up docs that this could be an issue), and so I am going to install a new, properly signed, cert in hopes that the changes fixes things. Stay tuned…

• 3. Re: Is port 443 the only problem?
              RickWhitelaw

Although Port 443 may be open it still may be necessary to forward the port to the server machine. I have had no problem with the SSL certificate myself.

• 4. Re: Is port 443 the only problem?
                plbcms

Thanks Rick,

I’m making progress. It turns out that the antivirus software on the box had its own firewall that was blocking 443. After opening the port on the AV’s firewall, I can now connect to the server via sharing. However, when I try to load the test and start pages (locally on the server), I am still getting certificate errors in the browser.

--Pete