2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2013 11:02 AM by jacksrmd

Is there a way to speed up solution sorts on the server

jacksrmd

Title

Is there a way to speed up solution sorts on the server

Your post

There is a substantial difference of sorting records from a solution that's hosted by a desktop machine versus the server in my environment.

The server sort is SLOWER.  Even if it's just 1 field.

In addition to having the field indexed turned on, Are there some general rules of thumb that I should use to speed up my server sorts?

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Is there a way to speed up solution sorts on the server
          Vincent_L

If you're comparing standalone solution, vs one accessing the server it's "normal" that using the server is slower.

Performance wise, server processing = standalone processing + sharing computation time + network transfer/lantecy.

The worst is the network latency.

With server running a server side processing script, I'd say you get 85% of the standalone performance

With server / client in a wired LAN you get at best 1/4 of standalone performance

If Client is on the same machine as server your get 1/2 of the standalone performance.

Yes that's bad. Of course all those metrics are very rough estimate it can be better or much much worse, depending on the solution.

as for acceleration sorts, try to avoid unstirred fields. Or maybe do a sort whose first criteria is stored, then the other (that's pure theory, I didn't test this).

• 2. Re: Is there a way to speed up solution sorts on the server
            jacksrmd

Thanx Glitchtracker