3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2011 1:14 PM by philmodjunk

isolated, multiple databases on FM Server?

DenisBrown

Title

isolated, multiple databases on FM Server?

Your post

Hello Forum members,

Newbie question and I have looked through many Forum posts without resolving my specific query...

We have FM Server (version 11) hosting a database for "Department X"

"Department Y" would now like to move their workstation-based FM database to the server environment.

We need isolation between the databases for Dept X and Dept Y.

Dept X and Dept Y are both in the same (educational) institution and FM Server is appropriately licensed.

Are we able to host both Dept X and Dept Y's databases and maintain isolation between the two at a security level?   The databases will never need to be merged or contribute data to a common project.   But users in Dept X need to know that Dept Y people will never be able to access their data.   Same for Dept Y

Do I need the Advanced version to achieve this?   And / or do I need multiple copies of FM Server to achieve the above?   The forum posts that I have seen appear to relate to the cases where it is desired to share information across databases - i.e. merging data.

Kind regards,

Denis

• 1. Re: isolated, multiple databases on FM Server?
          philmodjunk

The data itself will be quite separate unless you modify the design of the two systems to do otherwise.

The simplest way to keep department x from accessing department y's database and vice versa is to simply define different user passwords for the two files. The users will be able to see each other's file, but will be unable to open it.

With external server authentication or an opener file placed on each user's desktop, you could keep the two departments from even knowing that the other's database even exists on the same server.

• 2. Re: isolated, multiple databases on FM Server?
            DenisBrown

Thanks, PhilModJunk.

Much appreciated.   As it happens I've just found that Dept X the existing server is version 7 (hangs head in shame!) and the Dept Y files are from version 11.   We're making plans to update the Dept X database to utilise Version 11 - there are probably *heaps* of new bells and whistles that the older data can enjoy :-)

Kind regards,

Denis

• 3. Re: isolated, multiple databases on FM Server?
              philmodjunk

Good news: version 7 and 11 use the same file format. Thus you can host all the files from the same version of Filemaker Server while you move forward to get all the clients updated to the latest version.