3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2011 2:04 PM by PointInSpace

IWP Max Capacity

JesseMatz

Title

IWP Max Capacity

Your post

Background:

I'm in the process of starting up a mutli-company server (well want to) for others to access my template of their specific profession and have their own database in my server through IWP. I'm actually looking into SeedCode.com for their templates for less activity on IWP access with Mobile Devices. 

Question:

I know Filemaker Server 11 Advanced can have 999+ users but I see IWP only supports up to 100 simultaneous web connections - is this because of the server itself or was this a simple guideline that can be surpassed by hardware and internet connection if optimizied correctly? I know I might be looking at the ceiling too early in a project but this is somewhat of a huge concern of mine. I can't have potential recurring customers subscribing/trialing my database and telling them they must have filemaker pro 11 as well.

• 1. Re: IWP Max Capacity
          PointInSpace

FileMaker Server Advanced has a hard limit of 100 simultaneous Instant Web Publishing sessions.  If you're going to be using more than that, I'd highly recommend looking at Custom Web Publishing with PHP or Lasso.  CWP supports 100 simultaneous *connections*, which only are open during actual database queries.  In contrast, an IWP session is open essentially the whole time the user is using the solution.

- John

• 2. Re: IWP Max Capacity
            JesseMatz

ahh ok CWP will still have 100 max but it only actives a "connection" when data is being modified so it would take 100 users at the same time modifying different data for it to max out. Is there a dialog that appears if a user actually hits the 101 mark?

Thank you for the quick response by the way John, i'm also looking at the fms11_cwp_php.pdf right now to learn more about how CWP's work (i've also looked into VTC and Lynda for more training)

• 3. Re: IWP Max Capacity
              PointInSpace

I believe the user gets a rather generic "capacity exceeded" message that can't be customized, AFAIK.

- John