8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2010 7:56 AM by TSuki

IWP session timeout

cuitw_1

Title

IWP session timeout

Your post

I have upgraded my FMSA to version 11 recently. For some reasons, the session timeout setting for IWP is not working. I have set it to 60 minutes but then my customers got kicked out after a few minutes. It happened in FMSA version 9 and 10 before too, I had to reinstall the FMSA to fix it when it happened. Does anyone know the reason for this? Is there a fix?...

I am very frustrated receiving customers' complaints about the short timeout setting, if anyone know of a fix for it, please let me know.  

• 1. Re: IWP session timeout
          cuitw_1

Oops, didn't read the rules before I posted. I have been using FileMaker ever since version 3 and it is a Mac OSX server 10.6.4. It happened on previous version of OSX server also.

• 2. Re: IWP session timeout
            alan40201

I had this happen when I tried using the admin tools on the server itself. I went to a different computer, login to the server admin, and pulled up the same screen and was able to make and save the changes.

• 3. Re: IWP session timeout
              BreitenbushIT

I have experienced this issue as well (with Filemaker Server 10 on a Mac running 10.5.8).  I solved the issue by setting the session limit to 59 minutes.  I now have Filemaker Server 11, but I don't know if the issue is present because I have kept the session limit time set to 59 minutes to avoid any potential issues.

• 4. Re: IWP session timeout
                cuitw_1

Many thanks guys for your response.

I did try setting it to 59 minutes and change the setting by remote access before I posted but it didn't work for me.

However, I have reinstalled the FMSA 11 in the middle of the night and it is working fine now. Thank you guys.

• 5. Re: IWP session timeout
                  LGRE11

I'm having the same issue. I have agents in the field that access the database frequently and lose valuable information on the prospect if they don't save every minute. 

Filemaker techs: Is there a fix for this? cuitw seems to have figured it out a temporary fix but we need support from YOU. Maybe I missed the solution in the forums but there isn't much info out there.

Please help!

• 6. Re: IWP session timeout

LGRE11:

Can you specify the exact issue you are experiencing - does it seem to ignore the timeout length you set?

I have tested setting the timeout to 60 minutes in FileMaker Server 11v2  on OS X 10.6.4 and it appears to take the setting immediately after the  Web Publishing Engine restarts.

TSuki
                    FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: IWP session timeout
                      LGRE11

TSuki,

Thanks for getting back to me.

The database is shared through the Instant Web Publishing and seems to ignore the timeout length set. Currently timeout is set at 60 minutes but ACTUAL timeout is 20 minutes.

When I sign in, after 20 minutes of inactivity the session times out and the following error is received:

"Bad Request: The server could not process your request because your session has timed out, been closed, or communication with the server has been lost."

• 8. Re: IWP session timeout

LGRE11:

Does the timeout change if you set it to something below 20 minutes or to 59 minutes? It's possible there is some external factor on the network or OS that is causing the timeout. Does every user timeout after precisely 20 minutes, even if they login from the web server directly?

Did reinstalling make any difference for you as it did for cuitw? Are you using the latest version?

TSuki
                        FileMaker, Inc.