2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2015 11:12 PM by Markus Schneider

Java and Filemaker 12/13

cwtech

Title

Java and Filemaker 12/13

Your post

Hello All,

Just a post to start a discussion about FilerMaker's handling of Java.  Since Java 7 is almost at "end of update life"  don't you think that FileMaker should be supporting the current version of Java 8 in both FMS 12 & 13 which I have running at my clients.  The tech community ( myself included ) is always preaching "keep up to date" with security fixes for software, yet FileMaker is only officially supporting a Java version that is already 1 generation old and about to be put out to pasture.  I think that FileMaker should stay up to date and support the latest versions of Java if they continue to use it.  Comments?  especially from FileMaker.

• 1. Re: Java and Filemaker 12/13
          RickWhitelaw

I'm not from FileMaker but I agree with you on this. Several users, undoubtedly prompted by OS X promptings, have updated to Jave 8.x and found out later that FMS is not compatible. Luckily it's not difficult to uninstall Java and downgrade.

• 2. Re: Java and Filemaker 12/13
            Markus Schneider

It's complex, complicated )-:

I'm afraid that java is no longer usable for 'industrial' applications. An industrial application is an app' that has to do one thing: Run... for a long time...

I used to do any XML stuff with Oxygen - now, it asks me to have a java-6 environment installed.. I dumped Oxygen and bought Xmplify, that serves my basic needs. Maybe I got not the very latest release (but it was one of the latest) - I don't care. (When I desperately needed Oxygen, I was on the field, no internet, I just forgot Oxygen after updating to Yosemite...)

A new OS every year, other software will be updated as well in other frequencies - means the every couple of months we got the same. sigh.

I really don't want to 'be' FileMaker - they are suffering from OSX updates, iOS updates, Win updates - and Java updates among others. IMHO it's impossible to maintain a software under those circumstances.

But to go back to thread: I would love to have a server administration that doesn't rely on any uncontrolled 3rd party software - even when it's a pure terminal app (at the moment we can't do every thing using the terminal). And yes - the latest software versions should work, a server IS an industrial application