7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2010 2:55 PM by oakhamschool

Java version for FMS10

oakhamschool

Title

Java version for FMS10

Your post

What's the highest version of Java that will work with the Admin console in FM Server 10? Ive gone on the website and only found the operating systems it supports

• Mac OS X 10.4.11
    • Mac OS X Server 10.4.11
    • Mac OS X 10.5.4
    • Mac OS X Server 10.5.4
    • Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition SP2
    • Windows Server 2008 Standard Edition SP1
    • Windows Vista Business SP1
    •  

No word on java, and can anyone confirm its working with the latest Windows version - v1.6.16?

Many Thanks

Jalz

• 1. Re: Java version for FMS10
          philmodjunk

Quoting from the system requirements Knowledge Base Article #7152:

• Java 6 Release 7 (32 bit)
        •  

This, of course, does not tell you if more recent releases will work or not.

I'm using the above release on a Windows 2008 server with only rare (about once a month) hiccups that may or may not be Java related.

• 2. Re: Java version for FMS10
            oakhamschool

Thanks PhilModJunk, isn't 6 update 7 the latest version for server 9? I read the KB article you suggested, really thought FMS 10 would support a later version then stated and according to some of the answers from FM Inc staff on other threads it seems this has been fixed, but I can't find a definitive answer as to how high they go?Its starting to be really difficult keeping FM going in our environment where our IT staff always roll out updates to software.

On this thread TSGal says this issue has been fixed, but to what version was this at the time of writing?

Filemaker 9 Server Java 6 Update 10 Inompatibility

• 3. Re: Java version for FMS10
              philmodjunk
                 The KB article simply identifies a Java Version that will work it doesn't tell you if later releases will work or not. Perhaps TSGal can chime in with a more definitive answer. You might want to point out to your IT people that all OS type updates must be evaluated for possible issues with all installed software before they roll them out to the machines--that includes making sure it works with FMS.
              • 4. Re: Java version for FMS10
                TSGal

All:

Sorry for the late reply.

FileMaker Server 10 should work with the latest release of Java.  It was only FileMaker Server 9 that was limited to Java 6 update 7.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 5. Re: Java version for FMS10
                  oakhamschool

Hi TSGal,

No I'm sure FMSA10 doesn't as I had Java 6 update 15 and it didn't work until I downgraded to 6v7..... we're now on 17 which I'm willing to try tomorrow if you definitely know it will work (from other threads and I dont have any to reference now but when I've got more time I will post links here saying otherwise) I'm willing to give it another go. 

Thanks

Jalz 

• 6. Re: Java version for FMS10
                    TSGal

Jalz:

We've had some reports that users still could not run FileMaker Server until they reverted to Java 6 Update 7.  We're not sure if this is Java related or FileMaker related.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 7. Re: Java version for FMS10
                      oakhamschool
                         I Think it is FileMaker related as reading your KB Answer 7152, FMS10 requires Java 6u7 (does not say higher). I've also confirmed this with one of your colleagues in the UK. I just hope FM is working on a new version to rectify this, as the console software running on a Java version which is almost 2 years old (we're on update 18 now after having patch many security loopholes or bugs) Jalz