2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2009 2:25 PM by hschlossberg

License conflict with client on hosted server

Pindy

Title

License conflict with client on hosted server

Your post

Boy this blows. I'm getting the Maximum number of Users message because of a user using another database on a hosted FM10 server—nobody I know or is on my network. The message gives a username and an IP address which is unreleated to mine. I confirmed with the host company that the user has another database on the same server. Since the license is my own, and I cannot think how this other client could have hacked it, I wonder if this is either a FM10 bug or if my license has been randomly made with a key-gen by this person—by total coincidence—or did the FM10 server somehow share my information or allow a breach of security of another kind?

Either way, I'm dead in the water until they quit and being the rightful licensee, this seriously angers me. The fact I cannot get ahold of Filemaker, Inc. only adds to it. 

• 1. Re: License conflict with client on hosted server
          TSGal

Pindy:

Thank you for your post.

Firstly, FileMaker never displays the license key over the network.

It is possible your license key was randomly made by another person.  Also, although it hasn't happened previously, we could have issued the same license key twice (anything is possible).

If you are still having difficulty with the other customer, please contact me privately (top of this page - right side - just below the blue bar - X Messages) with your license key information, and I'll see if it has been duplicated or registered under another name.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: License conflict with client on hosted server
            hschlossberg
               One of my customers is having the same issue -- conflicts with misc unknown people on a hosted FM10 server.  My client is using a license key that came with a new, shrink-wrapped 'academic' version of Pro 10.  I am working with my client, FMS host, and my FileMaker SE to try to determine if it is in fact a duplicate key or if it might be a larger issue.