3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2009 12:45 PM by rmanook

Login using ODBC

mikemcs

Title

Login using ODBC

Your post

Is it possible to use an ODBC (my sql) database for the logon? All of my other files in this app are on mysql.

• 1. Re: Login using ODBC
          rmanook

Hi mikemcs,

Thanks for posting.

I just wanted to make sure that we're on the same page; could you give an example of what you would like FileMaker to do?  For example, are you asking if the MySQL database can manage the authentication for opening FileMaker databases where launching a FileMaker database would prompt for a SQL log-in?

I apologize for the confusion, I'm just thinking of a few routes that I could take this but I'd like to get a clearer idea of what you're trying to achieve before responding.

Thanks mikemcs,

tsturtle

FileMaker, inc. 

• 2. Re: Login using ODBC
            mikemcs

In Filemaker Pro I was using the IWP to design my program and there is a login screen. I’m going to move the final program to FM Server for more access and I was planning to use that login to determine what data should be available to the person logging in. Since all of my other data is stored in MySQL and accessed by other applications, I was hoping to maintain the logon rights in MySQL. Is that not the way to go?

• 3. Re: Login using ODBC
              rmanook

Hi mikemcs,

The only way to authenticate a login to a database is either via FileMaker account (username/password) or external authentication (Open/Active Directory group privileges).  You can specify if you want to maintain a MySQL login prompt within the database when that page displays MySQL data, but again this does not authenticate login information or authenticate FileMaker pages.

For what you're trying to do, it looks like you will need to create FileMaker logins.

Hope this helps,

tsturtle

FileMaker, inc.