3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2013 2:39 PM by philmodjunk

Look up? Connecting two Databases by seperate ID

VeronicaChavez_1

Title

Look up? Connecting two Databases by seperate ID

Your post

Hi,

I have two seperate Databases, one that holds student information and one that holds teacher information.

The student database holds test information for students with a unique 6 digit student ID as well as a teacher associated with each test.

The teacher database holds test information for teachers with a unique 3 digit teacher ID.  

I need this:

In the Student Database:

"Student 000000"  "Student test A results" with "Teacher 000" and "Teacher 000 Test A results" "Student test B results" with "Teacher 001" and "Teacher 001 Test B results" .

i.e. a student took test A with Teacher 000 and test B with Teacher 001.  I need to display teacher 000 results and teacher 001 results with this student's information.

How do I link the two Databases?  

(How do I tell it to look for 001 or 002 and display that information?  Is it a look up? Calculated value? or just a reference??)

Thank you sooo much!

-V

• 1. Re: Look up? Connecting two Databases by seperate ID
          VeronicaChavez_1

I think I figured it out..

Link the Databases so that the "Teacher for test A" in student Database is linked to the "Teacher ID" in the teacher Database.  then add the field from the Teacher Database that I want to display into the student Database.  
               It worked for the first test I did.  Now I have to do it for the other 30....Is there a better way of doing this? (by better I mean more efficient).

Thanks!

• 2. Re: Look up? Connecting two Databases by seperate ID
            philmodjunk

This question should have been asked in the FM Pro Forum where it would have been seen and responded to much more quickly.

There are two basice ways to "look up data" from one table to another. (I am assuming that you mean "table" when you say "database".)

One method you have already discovered is to establish a "dynamic link" where you just add the field from the related table.

Other method physically copy the data from a field in one table into a field in a related record in the other.

Both methods require a relationship and both have their uses.

Now I have to do it for the other 30

Don't see why you would need a different relationship for each test. If you make each test a separate record, a single relationship can be used to access all that are linked to the same teacher.

Note: I probably won't see any responses that you post here for about a week as that is about how often I check the FM Server forum...

• 3. Re: Look up? Connecting two Databases by seperate ID
              philmodjunk

Here's a thread that describes both methods: Auto Fill