1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 19, 2009 2:47 PM by TSGal

Loosing write permissions about once a week.

kanalje

Title

Loosing write permissions about once a week.

Your post

Product: FileMaker Server 9.0.2.151

We use a php-page to access the FM server and most of the times this works without problems. However, about once a week php write permissions is somehow blocked and often a couple of restarts is required to get it up and working again. This have been haunting us for about 6 months and is becoming unbearable. We've tried everything from using different methods of writing records [ createRecord() and newAddCommand() ] and even switching from IIS to Apache (yes I know it's unsupported) didn't change a thing.

What seems to be working is to stop the filemaker service and then write over "C:\Program Files\FileMaker\FileMaker Server\Database Server\Extensions\xDBC Support\logging\SLSocket55.trc" from a fresh working installation but I'm almost afraid to mention it since it might be misleading. Often another restart is required before FileMaker decides to cooperate again.

There are lots of people accessing this database both using FileMaker Pro and adding data from the web so I suspect that it might have something to do with user data getting stuck or corrupted but everything seems ok from what I can see under User/Permissions in FM Pro...

I realize that you might need more info to solve this but I am in a hurry and was hoping that someone would recognize the problem and have a solution ready for me when I get back after the weekend. ;)

Edit

I should mention: I can read data perfectly so I am definately getting a connection to the database. It's just writing, and modifying that's broken.

• 1. Re: Loosing write permissions about once a week.
          TSGal

kanalje:

Thank you for your post, and I must apologize for the late reply.

To make things worse, I don't have an answer why your PHP write permissions are blocked.

Don't worry about removing the SLSocket55.trc file.  You do what you have to do to get it running.  The bottom line is that you shouldn't have to do that.  I would also stick with IIS on Windows, since that is what is certified.  Switching to Apache may cause some other problems.

Can you be a little more specific about "lots of people accessing this database".  Tens?  Hundreds?  This could have something to do with it, but difficult to determine. 

When the PHP write permissions are blocked, does the server continue to run?  That is, are the databases still up and running?  Can other FileMaker Pro users still access the database files?

When you start to notice this, what were you doing just before this occurred?  I know this was posted a long time ago, but I'm just searching for any kind of common link to explore. 

Tomcat is used to communicate between the server and web publishing engine, so those log files may be helpful in determining the cause.  You can find those log files at:

FileMaker Server\Admin\admin-master-tomcat\logs

This may provide some insight to why this is occurring.

If you remember any other details, even if minute, it may help with narrowing down a possible cause.

Again, I apologize for the late reply.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.