5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2009 10:41 AM by philmodjunk

Lost entire day data after re-boot the server

amohager

Title

Lost entire day data after re-boot the server

Your post

Currently I have multiple FMP servers instances running on Windows 2003 server,from the 4 running instances one had problem.

Users were not seeing the FMP files on the server. When I logged into FMP server manager I have noticed a Red light next to database server, and below it ODBC Off.  I got with Network Admin and we tried to bring down/up FMP services but that didn't resolve the problem. We reboot the server and finally got the server active again. When I looked at the Windows and FileMaker logs it doesn't tell me anything about the crash. I am on the email alert for any errors (OS/FileMaker).  However, by looking at the logs databases were forced to closed during the reboot and you get all those generic opening/closing (not properly or so on).

I am just trying to understand the reason for losing all the data for that crash day prior to reboot.  The data entered after the reboot is all there but the data before the reboot all gone.

I looked at the log directory and there were couple of dump file with 0 size in there for that day.

I have cache at 700M with flush at 1 minute. How could I lose the data for 6-7 hours prior to re-boot.

Please Help! 

• 1. Re: Lost entire day data after re-boot the server
          TSGal

sdbdad:

Thank you for your post.

Unfortunately, from what you described, I cannot determine why FileMaker Server stopped, and I cannot determine what the data was lost.  Besides the Event.log file, you may also want to check the Tomcat logs.  That is:

FileMaker Server -> Admin -> admin-master-tomcat -> logs

This may provide a clue.

Any additional information you can provide may be helpful in narrowing down the possible causes.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Lost entire day data after re-boot the server
            amohager
               Thank you for your response. Unfortunately if there was any errors in the logs it would give me a confident that something went wrong. Since I don't see any errors in windows/filemaker and even tomcat logs other than around the same time the server was not ping/stop at 12:03 PM, tomcat log say potential_problem and then couple seconds later the component_not_responding message. Is tomcat communicating with FMP server for what purpose? We are not running publishing at all and it is disabled.  
            • 3. Re: Lost entire day data after re-boot the server
              TSGal

sdbdad:

Thanks for the information.

I wasn't sure if you were doing any kind of web publishing, so I included the Tomcat logs just to be thorough.  The Web Server Module contains Tomcat code to allow Tomcat and Web Publishing Core to be connected to IIS or Apache.  It is solely for communicating with one web server and one Web Publishing Engine.

The log files are not a cure-all, but I was hoping there might have been a clue to what caused the freeze.

Since you restarted, has the problem appeared again?  Any additional information you can supply me about the differences between this server and the other three may be helpful.  For example, three are running Windows XP, and the one having a problem is running Windows Vista.  Or, the one having a problem is running Service Pack 2.

Sorry I can't be of help and/or have a definitive answer.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Lost entire day data after re-boot the server
                amohager
                   I called FileMkaer priority support line and gave them the problem description but they couldn't add any value since they are concerns most if I currently have the problem or not. I don't have problem with server anymore. all the other 3 VM servers are all the same. We have a mix of Mac and PC's. All windows XP service pack 2. This server has the most users about 40-55. When I called FileMaker they suggest to bring down the applications on a local hard drive and perform Compact database function. This was a problem with Dbase II and III (Century back) in my time and it seems they have not find a way to get around it.  FileMaker said it could be one in hundred to cause the problem. My concerns are since we (admin) since don't get any errors from server how do we protect ourselves. Why the entire data for the day was gone? That is my major concerns since it could happened again. Thanks for you time. I am amazed with all the FileMaker gurus on the site no one has had any advise. 
                • 5. Re: Lost entire day data after re-boot the server
                  philmodjunk
                     Lost/Missing data is sometimes attributable to file being damaged/corrupted. Unfortunately, this damage isn't always apparent to the user until something goes wrong. One test is to take the file down off the server and perform the recover command on it to see if it reports fixing any problems or not. If it does, replace the file with a back up.