0 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2009 10:44 AM by dsmith99

Lost P to P network after uninstall of FM Server 10 and a reboot

dsmith99

Title

Lost P to P network after uninstall of FM Server 10 and a reboot

Your post

<!-- [if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:DocumentProperties>   <o:Template>Normal</o:Template>   <o:Revision>0</o:Revision>   <o:TotalTime>0</o:TotalTime>   <o:Pages>1</o:Pages>   <o:Words>347</o:Words>   <o:Characters>1980</o:Characters>   <o:Company>Triple Net Equities</o:Company>   <o:Lines>16</o:Lines>   <o:Paragraphs>3</o:Paragraphs>   <o:CharactersWithSpaces>2431</o:CharactersWithSpaces>   <o:Version>11.773</o:Version> </o:DocumentProperties> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings>   <o:AllowPNG/> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings> </xml><![endif] --><!-- [if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument>   <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom>   <w:DoNotShowRevisions/>   <w:DoNotPrintRevisions/>   <w:DisplayHorizontalDrawingGridEvery>0</w:DisplayHorizontalDrawingGridEvery>   <w:DisplayVerticalDrawingGridEvery>0</w:DisplayVerticalDrawingGridEvery>   <w:UseMarginsForDrawingGridOrigin/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif] --><!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face      {font-family:"Times New Roman";      panose-1:0 2 2 6 3 5 4 5 2 3;      mso-font-charset:0;      mso-generic-font-family:auto;      mso-font-pitch:variable;      mso-font-signature:50331648 0 0 0 1 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal      {mso-style-parent:"";      margin:0in;      margin-bottom:.0001pt;      mso-pagination:widow-orphan;      font-size:12.0pt;      font-family:"Times New Roman";} table.MsoNormalTable      {mso-style-parent:"";      font-size:10.0pt;      font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1      {size:8.5in 11.0in;      margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;      mso-header-margin:.5in;      mso-footer-margin:.5in;      mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1      {page:Section1;} --><!-- StartFragment -->

Hello FMers on this beautiful Friday in Santa Monica CA;

<!-- [if !supportEmptyParas] --> <!-- [endif] -->

Here at work, I am the iMac 10.5.7 with all the FM Pro 10 files that we use successfully on a pier to pier Ethernet network. I can open files with no warnings, everything OK.

Looking down the road, we thought about hosting our in-development new website on my iMac, so we decided to download the free trial version of FM server 10 so we could test hosting our own website.

We down loaded the free trial FM Server 10 correctly (but did not input FM database files in FM server 10). Out of habit, I open FM Pro 10 first. When I did I got this message: “Filemaker cannot share files over the Web because of a port number conflict. Please configure web publishing to use a different port”. Option: “Change Port” or Option: “OK”

Note: I clicked the “Change Port” option to see what it said, I was on port 80, I left it that way. So I clicked “OK”

As I started to open all the files with FM Pro 10, I got this message: “Filemaker cannot share files because another user is already sharing files using Filemake Pro on this computer”.

So of course, I figured out I need to load the data base files into server and I need to open the As Remote as well. I did so, and everything worked fine for a few days while we tested our new web site being hosted via FM Server 10. Myself and all others using the Ethernet opened the FM files through the server. After a few days, we decided not to host our new site, so we uninstalled FM Server 10, and went back to the P2P as we have before. And that worked fine for a few days. I open my files with no warnings and everyone had access to my opened files.

Then… my computer was working slow, so I did a reboot.

When I did, the FM Server 10 came back somehow. I got both warning messages as from above. On one of my co-worker’s iMac, when he tries to Open Remote, the old name of the trial version of FM Server 10 is there, and no one can get access to my files.

(Side Note: Right now, I am tying this message in word, before posting, I just did a “save as” and noticed I have a new device on my computer called “my computer name”(2) with an icon of a powermac standing station, looks like this might be part of the problem… I’ve seen this new device name over the past 3 months [months before downloading the free trial of FM Server 10], put did not worry about it)

How do I get back to a PtoP network?

<!-- EndFragment -->