1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 19, 2013 3:00 PM by philmodjunk

Mac Mini running FM Server

AlC

Title

Mac Mini running FM Server

Your post

Hi Guys,

Forgive me if this has been asked many times. I am a filemaker newbie and have spent hours reading these forums but don't have clear answers.

1. I am considering setting up FM Server on a Mac Mini setup with mac osx server,  2.6GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 256GB Solid State Drive (1) so I assume the other is the standard 1T drive, are these specs adequate? Do you have any other recommendations? There will be 2-3 remote access users and a local network of about 5 users on ipads.

2. I assume that both windows and mac users will be able to access this database remotely?

3. I am planning on setting it to do daily backups to a webhosted server solution, does this mean a second hard drive in the mac mini is not required?

thanks in advance for your help guys

• 1. Re: Mac Mini running FM Server
          philmodjunk

2. As long as each user has a properly licensed copy of FIleMaker 12 to use to connect to the hosted database, yes.

3. I'm a big believer in multiple redundancy when it comes to backups. You might want to keep back up copies on both a second hard drive and a remote location. Note that your daily back ups to the remote location cannot be done from a server schedule and 3rd party back up software should not be used to make copies of FileMaker Files while they are still open. If you set it up that way, your back up copies might be corrupted by the backup copy process. The solution for 3rd party backup's is often to set up server to backup the live files to a specific folder and then you set up the backup software to back up this backup folder.