5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2010 11:17 AM by philmodjunk

Managing External Data Sources and circular reference.

damondidit

Title

Managing External Data Sources and circular reference.

Your post

Hi there. I have this DB that has about 10 External Data Sources listed, as well as having itself listed as an external data source. I didn't develop this DB, bet everyone says that, but am trying to track down some slowness on Remote Host connections.

It seems to me that this DB referring to itself as an external data source could possibly be the issue.

Any thoughts?

FMS server on 10.5.8 Server with 10.6.x clients

all external data sources are listed as   fmnet:/ip.add.res.s/file.fp7

thanks for your time,

d

• 1. Re: Managing External Data Sources and circular reference.
          philmodjunk

Two common "slow connection" issues you can check:

1. Look for bad IP address references. If an external source refers to a file via a bad IP address and a subsequent line in the same reference correctly references the file, filemaker takes an extremely long time to figure out that the IP address is bad and then tries the next path in the reference.
          2. Look for any references with * in them. Remove those, replacing them with specific IP address, DNS, or just a relative path reference.

Do you have a copy of filemaker advanced?

A database design report generated from advanced could be very helpful in cleaning up uneeded, duplicate or wrong external data source references. You can modify the name of an external data source rference to something very unique--like XXXXX and then create and search the DDR for all instances of this reference. You can then find and edit these references to remove cases where it's a "circular" reference or to use a different, identical reference so you can eliminate the redundant reference.

• 2. Re: Managing External Data Sources and circular reference.
            damondidit

I do have Advanced and will run a DDR.

When you say "If an external source refers to a file via a bad IP address and a subsequent line in the same reference correctly references..." do you mean the external source of an external source?

Thanks again,

d

• 3. Re: Managing External Data Sources and circular reference.
              philmodjunk

If you open Manage | External Data Sources...

You can find entries like this for a single external data source:

file:CompetitorPricing
              fmnet:/192.168.254.4/CompetitorPricing

Note that you have two paths to the same file in one reference. If this reference listed them like this:

fmnet:/192.168.254.4/CompetitorPricing
              file:CompetitorPricing

And the IP address was invalid (maybe that server is turned off or no longer exists) but the relative path on the second line is valid, filemaker will open the file, but only after spending a very long time attempting to open the file via the invalid IP number.

• 4. Re: Managing External Data Sources and circular reference.
                damondidit

Ok thanks for clearing that up.

I actually have cleaned out all External Data Sources to only include the fmnet:/ip.add.res.s/file.fp7 references on all the databases.

had to do this because my users have all been migrated to Snow Leopard.

Thanks,

d

• 5. Re: Managing External Data Sources and circular reference.
                  philmodjunk

I don't think the "circular reference" is an issue--it didn't seem to slow things down on my windows systems anyway.

Perhaps it's not the references at all. Do you have any scripts set in File Options to run automatically when the file is opened?