1 Reply Latest reply on May 5, 2015 9:52 AM by Markus Schneider

Manual server backup or download file from server

Stu412

Title

Manual server backup or download file from server

Your post

Hi

I'm very new to FMS (last Friday) but I've connected my own client and have been using this with my DB on the server today.

What I have noticed on the client is that the 'File>>>>Save a copy as' is greyed out now, I can only presume because I'm running a server version.  I have full access rights.

So, presuming that's the case, I still want to have control over my backups as I frequently want to save and test things.  

1) How do I perform a manual backup on the FMS which can easily be restored should my new work break things?

Or

2) How do I download the file from the server back to my local PC, whereupon I presume I can continue development locally and have the safety net of the 'Save a copy as' button?

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Manual server backup or download file from server
          Markus Schneider

One can NOT perform 'copy as' - not just for security reasons - from a client..

On the server, You have 'schedules' that perfom backups without stoping the server. You can create as many schedules as You like, You can enable (= automatic..) or disable (= have to be started manually) them. This happens via the Admin-website

You can also download databases from FileMaker Server using the Admin-website

(all from the manual, btw)