5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2015 9:31 AM by ErichWetzel

migrating Filemaker Pro server 12 to new server

RogerVanstone

Title

migrating Filemaker Pro server 12 to new server

Your post

Hi

Looking for advice on how to migrate an existing filemaker pro server 12 installation to a new server. The installation supports about 10 pc's. Is there links to howto documents that provide advice ?. I've had a look in the forums and at the online stuff but cannot find very much.

Thanks

Roger

• 1. Re: migrating Filemaker Pro server 12 to new server
          ErichWetzel

Of course back up everything before doing anything.

I would strongly suggest doing a clean installation of the OS and then install FMS by the instructions. Our results have always been better with that type of install rather than playing games with moving OSs and FMS to new hardware.

Then just upload your files as suggested by FileMaker. If you are familiar with placing them where they need to be on your own feel free but make sure that they are all owned by the FileMaker Server User on the system or they may not be able to be opened by FMS.

• 2. Re: migrating Filemaker Pro server 12 to new server
            RogerVanstone

Hi

Thanks, I've briefly read a pdf called 'fms12 getting started en.pdf' and it seems to suggest that I have to deactivate or uninstall the original version first before I install onto the new server - is this correct ?. I'd much rather install the new version and test first before moving the clients across to the new server - is this possible ?. Also is there a proscribed way of repointing the clients to the new server address . Apologies for the newbie questions, I'd rather get this right first time around.

Roger

• 3. Re: migrating Filemaker Pro server 12 to new server
              ErichWetzel

No problem with questions Roger. That's how we all figure it out in the end!

The issue is that the new version will not run with the other one up because they have the same license code. I am not positive this will work but I would shut off the existing server, do the installation of the new one, put the registration in, and test. Just don't have both of them on at the same time. Once the new one is going, make sure to fully remove the installation from the old machine. I have the luxury of being able to take down our systems at my convenience and just make the new server the same IP and just never have both on at once.

As far as redirection goes, it depends on how you contact the server now. Once everything is going, can the new server be given the same IP and DNS name as the old one? If yes, then nothing needs to change. If no, and you use a name like database.company.com to reach your databases can you can just redirect the name to the new server's IP address? Otherwise, how do you connect to the server now?

-Erich

• 4. Re: migrating Filemaker Pro server 12 to new server
                RogerVanstone

Hi, thanks for the information, much appreciated. As regards the server install, do you know if you can install it and configure it without licensing ?. The reason I ask is that I'm not going to be able to pull the old server offline for long periods of time so want to get to a place where I'm reasonably confident that things will work before I attempt the license activation. Also all the clients connecting using a FMS:\\ip address and i'll not be able to re-use that so that will need to be changed on all the clients once the new server is up and running and the databases moved across.

Roger

• 5. Re: migrating Filemaker Pro server 12 to new server
                  ErichWetzel

I could be wrong but I don't think it will serve anything without the licensing in so there would be no way to test.

Maybe call FileMaker and tell them your situation. Possibly they can give you a download of the 30 day preview version which has its own 30 day license. Build and test that one. Then when ready, shut off the old one and put your full license in the new one. Uninstall the old.

Your conclusion about redirection sounds correct. You will have to manually adjust all of the clients. We use a small "starter" file that does nothing other than connect to the main file on the server and then closes itself. We put it on a file server that everyone had access to and tell them to download. That file has no records, just a script that is run at startup. The script calls a specific file on our server and then closes the starter file. You could try that and just have the users put it on their desktop so you would still have the old and the new together. Once the new is good, either retouch each client or just tell staff to open from the starter file.