5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2010 3:58 PM by philmodjunk

Migrating from FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced to Filemaker Server

3WaveGuy

Title

Migrating from FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced to Filemaker Server

Your post

Hi,

I have built a standalone application and was recently asked if I could put in on a company's server so others can access it.

The application they use now is on one desktop and is a compiled version I made using FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced.

Do I need to buy the FileMaker Server Application in order to allow many  (5 or 10) people to use it?

If so, do I have to change the application?

Thanks,

Michael

• 1. Re: Migrating from FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced to Filemaker Server
          philmodjunk

Do they have copies of filemaker installed on each client? That's also needed unless you use instant web publishing.

Assuming that they have filemaker installed on the client workstations, you can simply open the file with filemaker pro on the host machine and support up to 9 other users or you can use filemaker server. There's an option for hosting a runtime wiht server so in either case, you won't need to make any changes to your database file.

• 2. Re: Migrating from FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced to Filemaker Server
            3WaveGuy

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your reply.

No, it is just a runtime sitting on their desk.

I believe that runtimes are stand alone only for FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced, but FMPro 11 Server Advanced will allow me to create runtime clients. Is that a correct assumption?

Can you recommend a good link to review before I purchase? I am concerned about the work needed to convert a standalone to a Client-Server Application, as I don't have much knowledge about this subject.

Thanks,

Michael

• 3. Re: Migrating from FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced to Filemaker Server
              philmodjunk

As far as I know, neither filemaker 10 nor filemaker 11 runtimes will function as a client to access hosted files over a network. Filemaker specifically disables that option when the runtime is created as that would eliminate a lot of sales dollars for them if they didn't.

• 4. Re: Migrating from FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced to Filemaker Server
                3WaveGuy

How, then do you protect your investment if every user has access to a full FM11 Pro package. Wouldn't they just open your app and raid all you logic and algorithms?

• 5. Re: Migrating from FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced to Filemaker Server
                  philmodjunk

Well most of the "logic" often isn't that unique in most database systems so that isn't always that big of a concern. Most of the time, what you are providing is a system designed to meet a specific customer's needs and isn't readlily transferable to another user without making modifications anyway.

Essentially, the customer has paid for your expertise in putting the pieces together more than in using code that can't easily be replicated by another developer.

You can also use filemaker advanced to strip out access to the admin account and this blocks access to scripts and field definitions without generating a stand alone runtime. In addition, Filemaker server can host your runtime file without the need for you to make any changes to the file--you just need to have those client copies of Filemaker Pro installed on the workstations so that they can link to the hosted file. (And the clients need not have any additional access to the hosted files unless they also have direct access to the server.)