3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2008 5:34 PM by davidhead

Modifying served DBs

ChezGrey

Title

Modifying served DBs

Your post

Perhaps a very basic question, but is there danger in modifying FM dbs while they are being served out?  Speicifcaly, can I create a new layout in a db that is currently accessed as a shared file from FM Server?

• 1. Re: Modifying served DBs
          rmanook

Hi ChezGrey,

Thanks for posting!  All questions of any level are accepted and appreciated.  It not only helps you, but perhaps others who have the same issue but are maybe a bit shy to post :smileywink:

While the software allows this, it is not recommended that the FileMaker Pro database is modified while being hosted due to the potential of damage/corruption to the database.  A better route would include taking the database offline, opening it in a local copy of FileMaker Pro, creating the changes, and then re-hosting it via FileMaker Server.

If it is absolutely necessary that the database is modified remotely, try installing a copy of FileMaker Pro on the server machine.  A user would then remote into that server machine, launch FileMaker Pro, and access the hosted database via Open Remote.  This is a *tad* safer than launching FileMaker Pro on your own local machine, accessing the database via Open Remote, and making changes. 

Let me know if there is anything else that I can clarify for you.

Thanks!

tsturtle

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Modifying served DBs
            ChezGrey

Thanks for the answer.  I've not had issues with this before but I fear I caused a crash today.

Thanks again.

• 3. Re: Modifying served DBs
              davidhead

ChezGrey wrote:
              ... is there danger in modifying FM dbs while they are being served out?  Speicifcaly, can I create a new layout in a db that is currently accessed as a shared file from FM Server?
              Hehehe, the answer to this question is often another question - is there any danger in servicing my car while I am driving to the shops?
              In reality, creating a new layout in a live database does not pose a big issue. However, you must be careful of what might happen for example if a script is pointed at a layout and that layout is modified while another user is running the script. In summary, be very careful what you do in a database while others are using it.