1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 1, 2015 1:01 PM by ErichWetzel

Move to a two machine server with Ver 14 upgrade

DSKatSCL

Title

Move to a two machine server with Ver 14 upgrade

Your post

I have finally been allocated a second VM Server to load FMS in a two machine configuration.  I have a couple concerns that I need answers for before I start my install.  I will still have the server that ver 13 FMS is loaded on and it will be updated to ver 14. I have mixed groups of users on FMP. WebDirect, and iOS devices.

1. Once I install Version 14 on both machines, and one is used for DB engine and the other is for the Web engine, do I have to redirect any of my users to one or the other machine's IP addresses, or if I make the current machine the master and still point everyone to that IP address will FMS handle the type of user connecting and move their requests to the proper engine?  In other words, do FMP/FMGO users have to be pointed to the IP address of the DB engine, and WebDirect users have to be pointed to the IP Address of the Web Engine?

2. For SSL connectivity, will I need 2 Authority Certificates, one for each server machine or is only one needed.  If only one is needed, which server does it get load into, or does one get loaded into both machines?

3. If I have a mixed group us FMP versions still implemented. Versions 12 - 14. Until I can get everyone upgraded, will the people still on ver 12 be able to run applications from the ver 14 Server?

4. How do I notify ALL users that the 25-30 programs they access on the server will be down on a certain date so that I can do the updates and migration?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Move to a two machine server with Ver 14 upgrade
          ErichWetzel

Lets say the Database server is 10.10.10.1 and the web engine is 10.10.10.2

1 -

Database access for FM Go and FM Pro is handled by the Database Server. Users would direct the apps to the IP/DNS name of the Database server in the example 10.10.10.1

Webdirect users access the databases from the web engine. Users would direct their browser to the IP/DNS name of the web engine in the example 10.10.10.2

2 - Not sure on this one other than App DB connections require a certificate be added to the Database Server

3 - Yes you should be good to go with the versions of clients you mentioned with the understanding that the features of each client will be limited to items that the particular FMP version was able to do and not features from later versions.

4 - Email? However you notify users that systems will be down now.