6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2010 6:21 AM by mps1773

Moving FileMaker Server 10 to a new machine

stevenkw

Title

Moving FileMaker Server 10 to a new machine

Your post

I did not listen to the good advice and eneded up installing FileMaker Server 10 on a file server.  The storage for the server has died but the FileMaker Server is still running happily on the boot drive of the server. I have been runnng this way for several months but now I really need to get FileMaker Server on to a machine of it's own and rebuild the file server.

I now have a dedicated machine for FileMaker Server. is the following the correct procedure for moving to the new system?

Stop serving and close all databases on the file servermachine.

Back up Database Folder

Turn off file server machine. (this machine has nothing on it and will be rebuilt in the future)

Install FileMaker Server on new FileMaker Server machine.

Copy Database Folder on to new FileMaker Server machine.

Open and share all Database.

re-configure back up schedules.

Does this sound right? If the 2 servers see each other will it cause problems? Am I missing anything major?

Thank you and sorry for asking such a basic question I just am really parinoid about moving data around.

Thank you,

--SW

• 1. Re: Moving FileMaker Server 10 to a new machine
          philmodjunk

The basic method looks good to me. I'd uninstall Filemaker server from the original machine so that the server's service doesn't auto-start when you start up again after the move.

I'd also check any external data source references in my files and update them if they use the IP address of the original server--replacing them with a "file" reference where possible and the new server's IP address if not.

• 2. Re: Moving FileMaker Server 10 to a new machine
            stevenkw

PhilModJunk wrote:

I'd uninstall Filemaker server from the original machine so that the server's service doesn't auto-start when you start up again after the move.

I will most likely format this machine once I get FileMaker off it. Or at lease wait till I have the new system running before I uninstall it. :)
            I don't think I use any external data sources. How would I be certian? There are about 20 Databases that link up to each other all on the same server.
            Thank you for your response!

• 3. Re: Moving FileMaker Server 10 to a new machine
              philmodjunk

With "20 Databases that link up to each other all on the same server." you definitely have external data sources.

Select Manage | External Data Sources... and look for IP address references.

If they're all on the same server, you should be able to just use File: type data references.

• 4. Re: Moving FileMaker Server 10 to a new machine
                stevenkw

PhilModJunk wrote:

With "20 Databases that link up to each other all on the same server." you definitely have external data sources.

Select Manage | External Data Sources... and look for IP address references.

If they're all on the same server, you should be able to just use File: type data references.

OK thank you for the information. They are all set to File Path: file:filename.fp7 so I am hoping I am in good shape. I'll let you know how it goes. I think I will switch over tomorrow end of day.

Thank you again!

• 5. Re: Moving FileMaker Server 10 to a new machine
                  stevenkw

OK 1 last question. :)

The original FileMaker 10 Server Software was running on OSX 10.5 Server. The new machine is only running OSX 10.5.

When I moved the Database folder to the new machine I noticed that the permissions were set to:

User=Read & Write

Group fmadmin=Read & Write

Everyone= Read Only

When I opened my databases from the new machine they all opened as read only.

I changed the permissions to

Everyone = Read & Write so now I am able to use the databases.

Is there anything I should do different?

The machine is dedicated and nobody else is using it but it is 10.5 not 10.5 server.

• 6. Re: Moving FileMaker Server 10 to a new machine
                    mps1773

Hello stevenkw,

The absolute best way to ensure correct file permissions when moving databases around is to use the admin console and (re-)upload the DB's in that way. 

Matthew Smith