1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 9, 2010 2:24 PM by philmodjunk

Moving Servers - Advice needed

StuartNicols

Title

Moving Servers - Advice needed

Your post

Hiya :)
      Have recently taken over the IT role in a company and been left to my own devices...
      I have no knowledge of Filemaker at all, so for me, its a learn on the fly thing....

First thing is, i have Filemaker Server 10   (and 10 and 11 clients)

I need to move this server software and install on another server (as current one is about to fall over)

Would i be right to:
      Copy databases to new server.
      Install Server Software and create link to Databases
      Setup the rubbish Backup options (getting that not valid path rubbish!)
      Try a client by pointing to the new server to see if it opens database as before ?

Cheers
      Stuie

• 1. Re: Moving Servers - Advice needed
          philmodjunk

Maybe:

1. Install Server Software
          2. Check ports and firewall settings (see documentation that comes with FileMaker server)
          3. Use Admin Console to upload database files to new server.
          4. Set up the Backup options (Filemaker only backs up to local drives, to move files to external drive requires using a system script not run by FileMaker server, but by the OS or use of third party back up software.)
          5. Try a client by pointing to the new server to see if it opens database as before
          6. Check Manage | External Data sources in each FileMaker file to make sure that any references to files via IP address or DSN's are still valid as the the server move may have resulted in a new IP or DSN.