1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 4, 2011 11:22 AM by philmodjunk

multi-office database sharing question. Please help

GregSchnider

Title

multi-office database sharing question. Please help

Your post

I am going to build a database for about 5 people to share. I work for a massive company and they aren't really interested in helping me with this project. I can install FM Pro Advanced on my local machine, FM Pro on a couple machines in the office and store the DB file on the local shared drive without a problem. the problem is that I need a couple people in an out of state office to have access as well. They would need to read/write/edit and run reports etc. they don't need to customize the db, just input and manipulate data. My company has a server, but I probably won't be able to get them to host the DB without a huge headache. I'm in D.C. the other users are in Chicago and the servers are in NY.

Can anyone think of a work-around or solution for me?

Also, can anyone give me a brief description of what would be required and how this all works for installation and use of FM server or FM pro advanced for me to give to my IT department?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks so much.

• 1. Re: multi-office database sharing question. Please help
          philmodjunk

...and store the DB file on the local shared drive without a problem

Actually, that IS a problem and one that can damage your database file very easily.

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7616/kw/sharing

You can find product specification data that lists the hardware/software requirements for server in the knowledge base. There are also additional articales besides the one above you can find if you specify "sharing" in you keyword search. You'll find a link to the knowledge base at the top of this screen.

You may want to consider contracting with a fileMaker hosting service to host your database so that all can access the DB over the internet using either a web browser (if you set up your database to work with Instant Web Publishing) or from FileMaker Pro clients.