12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2010 1:39 PM by MartinBrändle

Multiple Nics FMServer Adv 10

Selzhanik

Title

Multiple Nics FMServer Adv 10

Your post

Windows 2008

FM Server Adv 10

In a server with multiple NICs, running IIS and FMAS on same machine.

How can I specify which NIC to use for FMAS ?

• 1. Re: Multiple Nics FMServer Adv 10
          kapitaen_1

some wild guessing ...

on the windows side, you can configure each nic to listen to a specific ip adress. so calling the fm server via this ip adress ... this nic is used.

everybody who knows better ... please post.

greetings from germany

chris

• 2. Re: Multiple Nics FMServer Adv 10
            Selzhanik

Example :

NIC 1 : 172.16.1.10
            NIC 2 : 192.168.1.10
            NIC 3 : 10.0.0.10

Console says it's listening on 192.168.1.10, but that's the seperate network for the offline backup.
            I want to set filemaker fixed on NIC 1 (for example).

What I did now was disabling the NICs not used for FM, stop FM,  start FM, now it selects the only

available NIC (the correct one, console say listening on the correct NIC) and afterwards enabling
            the other NICs again.. 

• 3. Re: Multiple Nics FMServer Adv 10
              kapitaen_1

hmmm, maybee you can use the windows firewall to disable the filemaker ports on one nic, and enable them on the other nic.

greetings from germany

chris

• 4. Re: Multiple Nics FMServer Adv 10
                Selzhanik

That's not an option, blocking or allowing ports on a NIC does not prevent FM ADV S to 'use' it.. More worse..
                If you block everything on that NIC, nothing functions anymore because the NIC used by FMADS is not allowed

to do anything..

• 5. Re: Multiple Nics FMServer Adv 10
                  staze

I'm actually looking how to do this on Mac OS X Server 10.5. The server has two public interfaces, that have two different FQDN's... and I'd rather not have the server show up as two different servers. So, binding to one specific address/interface would be nice. 

This is Filemaker Server 10.

Thanks!  

• 6. Re: Multiple Nics FMServer Adv 10
                    Selzhanik
                       Staze understands my question ! Is this really THE filemaker forum ?
                    • 7. Re: Multiple Nics FMServer Adv 10
                      MartinBrändle

Selzhanik wrote:

That's not an option, blocking or allowing ports on a NIC does not prevent FM ADV S to 'use' it.. More worse..
                      If you block everything on that NIC, nothing functions anymore because the NIC used by FMADS is not allowed

to do anything..

FMS(A) listens on all NICs, and I don't see a way how to configure a specific NIC within FMS(A) settings. 

However, I think kapitaen is pointing in the right direction with setting up a firewall. It's not about blocking "everything" as you say, but blocking the specific FMS(A) ports for a specific IP range. Other services would still run.

I can say for Mac OS X Server, but I think the same reasoning will hold for a Windows Server as well.

First you define the order of your ethernet interfaces in the Network settings of System Preferences (Gearwheel > Set Service Order ...). Then you are sure to which interface FMSA should listen first.

Then, in the Mac OS X Server Admin software, you add Firewall as a service. Within Firewall settings, you can add different address groups (tab Address Groups, 192.168.x.x is already predefined). In tab Services, you can then add the FMS(A) ports and allow or disallow traffic for specific IP address ranges, e.g. disallow for 192.168-net.

So, incoming calls should only reach FMS(A) through one IP range.

• 8. Re: Multiple Nics FMServer Adv 10
                        staze

I find this amazing. In my case, this won't work, because both NICs are on the SAME public network. So I can't easily block FMS from one of them since they're both on the same subnet. 

I cannot believe there is no way to tell FMS to only listen to a specific interface. Do any FM employees read this forum? This seems like a glaring shortcoming in the software that just about everything else will do.  

• 9. Re: Multiple Nics FMServer Adv 10
                          MartinBrändle
                             You can block down to the specific IP address of this NIC.
                          • 10. Re: Multiple Nics FMServer Adv 10
                            kapitaen_1

@staze ... so if both nics are on the same public network, where is the problem? if the request comes in via nic 1 or via nic 2, the request will stay identical.

@brändle ... i think blocking the ip of the nic will not work, because not the nic will send the request, but the client. and filemaker cann only block the ip of the client, not of something in the "tracerout" in between.

greetings from germany

chris

• 11. Re: Multiple Nics FMServer Adv 10
                              staze

The problem is, they're two difference FQDN's... so it's going to look like, to the person that just browses for a remote FMS, that there are 2 FMS's... one with one FQDN, and one with another. Basically, this server is acting like two separate servers. 

Firewalling it off seems like a ridiculous solution to something as simple as "bind to this/these network interfaces". Or "register as this IP address".

-Ryan 

• 12. Re: Multiple Nics FMServer Adv 10
                                MartinBrändle

@kapitaen: Yes, you are right. Bad idea of me.