3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2012 10:12 AM by philmodjunk

Need help with merged fields in dropdown

neilgalang

Title

Need help with merged fields in dropdown

Your post

Hi!

So I have a table populuated with first name and last name fields (Residents' Registration) and a related table which uses the Resident_Registration_PK number as a foreign key. (Treatment Plans)

I would like to have a dopdown on the threatment plan that will display both Last names and first names on a drpodown list, or a script which creates blank treatment plans for each which will automaticall create a single treatment plan for each name.

How do I go about in doing this? should I create a portal? Im deploying this via IWP ...

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Need help with merged fields in dropdown
          philmodjunk

This question doesn't seem to have anything to do with FileMaker Server even though posted in the FM Server section of the forum. The FM Pro section gets a lot more "traffic" and thus poster get more and better help with their quesitons when posted there.

Define a calculation field that combeins the first and last names in a single field. There are a number of possible variations. Here's one:

LastName & ", " & FirstName

Define your drop down to list Resident_Registration_PK as the first field and this calculation field as the second. You can hide the PK number if you want. And you can add this name field from the Resident's Registration table to your layout so that the full name is still visible after you select a resident from the drop down.

• 2. Re: Need help with merged fields in dropdown
            neilgalang

Hi-- I tried doing this but the dropdown appears as blank-- however if i use a pop-up menu...it works.

• 3. Re: Need help with merged fields in dropdown
              philmodjunk

it should work the same with either format. Exactly what options did you specify in Manage | value lists?

Did you specify "text" as the return type for your calculation field that merges the names? It won't work if it specifies number.