3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2008 6:29 PM by rmanook

Need helping figuring out the right software

ronwilder

Title

Need helping figuring out the right software

Your post

I currently own Filemaker Pro 9 Advanced.

My goal is to deploy a series of databases across my LAN to around 7 computers. The files will reside on a Mac OS X Server. Additionally, I'd like one of the databases to be accessible to the web and only for one or two users.

My question is, should I purchase FMP Server 9 and just publish the one internet accessible database with Filemaker Pro 9 Advanced or should I purchase the Advanced version of the Server? 

Or are there other options?

I can purchase non-profit or government for this project. 

• 1. Re: Need helping figuring out the right software
          rmanook

Hi ron,

Thanks for posting!

With the ability to allow 9 concurrent users with FileMaker Network Sharing (or File > Open Remote) and 5 concurrent users via Instant Web Publishing, FileMaker Pro 9 Advanced alone can handle your configuration (assuming your machine meets system requirements and other applications aren't eating all of the resources :smileyhappy: ).

Your choice for using the FileMaker Server software will come down to a few things:

1.  Security

Any database that is hosted by FileMaker Pro 9 (FileMaker Network Sharing or IWP), needs to be physically opened within the FileMaker Pro 9 application; users will not be able to see any file that is closed or if the application is closed.  While you can launch the database under a 'Read Only' log-in for added protection, some people prefer the fact that FileMaker Server runs as services in the background of the machine and that the databases are only accessible through Pro or the web. Also, since you are using Instant Web Publishing, FileMaker Server offers the capability to run SSL.

2.  Features

Are there any particular features within the FileMaker Server/Advanced software that you would like to use for your solution? 

Are most of the users simply performing data-entry tasks?  Depending on the usage, I would probably recommend that you try hosting via FileMaker Pro 9 Advanced first.  At the very least, it would be better to try this configuration and then move to FileMaker Server as opposed to purchasing FileMaker Server too soon and realizing you would have been just as fine with Pro Advanced.

Does anyone else use a similar configuration and have any opinions on Server vs. Pro?  I'm sure we'd both love to hear them.

Thanks!

tsturtle

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Need helping figuring out the right software
            ronwilder

Thanks for the quick response. 

The users will only be performing simple data entry.

One final question. In your response you said "Any database that is hosted by FileMaker Pro 9 (FileMaker Network Sharing or IWP), needs to be physically opened within the FileMaker Pro 9 application". I'm assuming if I were using Filemaker Network Sharing, that means I would have to purchase the software and install it on each computer. Is that the case?

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Need helping figuring out the right software
              rmanook

Hi ron,

That is correct.  With FileMaker Network Sharing you have either a copy of FileMaker Pro or Server hosting the databases.  The users will access the hosted databases via their own copy of FileMaker Pro installed on their machine.

When hosting a database over the web (with FileMaker Pro as the host it will be Instant Web Publishing), the user does not need to have FileMaker Pro installed on their machine.  Instead, they only need to use a web browser ( Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc. ) to access the hosted database. FileMaker Pro allows for 5 concurrent users accessing databases via this method, so you could have 5 of your 9 users accessing a database via IWP.

As for the databases themselves, a hosted database has to be 'opened' in FileMaker Pro.  It can not be a closed file sitting on the desktop or in a databases folder. 

Let me know if I can clarify anything else for you.  I'm definitely happy to help.:smileyhappy:

tsturtle

FileMaker, Inc.