7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2010 3:27 PM by TSGal

Neglected forum

StellaLuna

Title

Neglected forum

Your post

Well I don't visit this forum much; I don't know servers very well.  But I was struck by this observation:  Back in August of 2009, FMI (via TSGAL) answered a lot of posts here but then dropped way down.  From September 2009 to now, there have accumulated 64 unanswered posts.

If I were asking server questions, I would feel quite ignored.  Doesn't FMI have someone to take care of this forum properly any more?

• 1. Re: Neglected forum
          StellaLuna

In fact I just looked back through the forum here and FMI (TSGal) has only posted like 10 times in past 3 months here.  I realize she can't be everywhere and answers elsewhere but since FMI makes good money off of their customers and since they provide this forum for their customers to ask their questions, the least FMI can do is answer them.  And no, I don't particularly want to hear how Bento came out with new bells and whistles and it took time away from the FileMaker customers to go answer Bento questions.

• 2. Re: Neglected forum
            FluffyBear

Well, most forum based support systems rely on community efforts rather than the company doing the support.  Their link into the forum is just for product development to get feedbacks of the system.  So on that front, you can't really fault TSGal for her effort.  She could be the only one doing support for everything from phone, email, and here as far as we know...

The more pivotal question you should ask is why are there some bugs on here that have been around for quite a long time and they're not getting fixed by FM.  Where I work, we cringe every time there's an OSX java update because we know it could crash our FMS installation and we'd have to spend a lot of time fixing it :smileysad:

• 3. Re: Neglected forum
              littledog

I always have in mind that FORUMS is palace where users and professionals change thoughts and here is nothing regarding company opinion. Company make Knowledge Base.

And as in forums - a lot of people ask first and think second. Or question can be find in to other sources but people sometimes are lazy to look.

And we know several forums about FileMaker.

To find some answer I use Google not forums search - it's much faster. 

In general - what is you question you haven't get answer? 

• 4. Re: Neglected forum
                StellaLuna

FluffyBear wrote:

Well, most forum based support systems rely on community efforts rather than the company doing the support.  Their link into the forum is just for product development to get feedbacks of the system. 

I could not disagree more; this site is provided by FMI so THEY can assist people.  Developers who answer here have been thanked for helping out but, when nobody answers (or can answer) a question, FMI should pick up the ball; it is their website.  So let developers answer but when replies sit on 0, answer them!   This forum is not like other community forums.  This forum belongs to FMI as a resource and a direct link to their assistance and it is linked to from their knowledge base.  How nice when someone searches, to be given a link to this forum where someone asks the same question but has no answer. 

FluffyBear wrote:

So on that front, you can't really fault TSGal for her effort.  She could be the only one doing support for everything from phone, email, and here as far as we know...

I was not faulting TSGal but rather FMI for expecting her to handle it all.  It is FMI's responsibility to man it properly just like it is FMI's responsibility to fix their broken products. If TSGal is the 'only one doing support for everything from phone, email, and here' then (Lord help us and) that might explain the lack of customer support and bug fixes but I doubt that is true.  What is more likely that FMI doesn't put in the RESOURCES (time, staff and money) to properly assist their customers and repair their products (a pattern we see all too often).

All I am asking is why one forum is being ignored and give FMI a chance to pick up the ball here (and that's why I linked to this forum from a few different locations; I wasn't sure FMI would even notice this thread otherwise).  I also wanted their customers (particularly those who made those 64 desperate pleas for help on this forum and received only silence) to see what FMI has to say.  It is possible that the FMI person who should handle this forum doesn't work there any more and they are frantically working to get someone else.  We are all understanding people ... but if their answer is the portion in bold above, then we all should let them know that they need to quit pocketing all their earnings and put some back to helping their customers. Heck, we can't even get a Known Issues forum here.

• 5. Re: Neglected forum
                  StellaLuna

Well, Peter, if you go to the FileMaker website and look under the Support link, forums is listed.  If you click that link, you don't get a list of all the major FileMaker forums ... you get this one (and Bento).  And, at the top of that link it says, "Join a forum run by FileMaker, Inc."

We have many forums who provide answers by each other.  This forum was supposed to be different in that, if FMI saw someone gave incorrect information, we could count on a true answer from them (or ANY answer from them if someone else didn't respond).  TSGal has even apologized for missing someone's question so it isn't abnormal for me to think that is what FMI planned to do - answer questions!

What is my question which hasn't been answered?  I asked it in my first post here ... why are the server forum questions being ignored?

• 6. Re: Neglected forum
                    StellaLuna

For those who don't think FMI planned to be responsible for answering questions, go back to August and July (on this server forum) and see that 99.5% of all questions were answered and FMI answered most of them.  That stopped almost entirely in September and by October/November, the ball was dropped.

I am not trying to attack TSGal.  I am simply bringing to everyone's attention that the pattern of response by FMI on this forum has greatly changed from full support to nada. I took the time to go back and look before I even posted originally ... have you?  Those people who asked questions and received no response, went hunting elsewhere for their answers.  And I would bet that their opinion of FMI support dropped greatly as an outcome.

• 7. Re: Neglected forum
                      TSGal

Stella Luna (et al):

Your points are all valid.  The Server board was neglected for several months, but I am slowly catching up on this board.

The volume for the FileMaker boards continue to increase each month, and at this time, I am the only resource for the forum.  This is being discussed, but I don't have an answer at this time.  On a separate note, I neither handle phone calls nor provide email support.

I want to thank everyone who have been helping others.  I definitely appreciate it. 

If you feel like a post is being neglected, please contact me via Private Message and I will address it immediately (assuming I'm logged in).  In addition, I have 25-30 Server posts that I have set aside that I need to test when I come into the office.

I'm not trying to make excuses.  I just want to give you some reality.

Thanks.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.