5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2011 3:34 AM by MHaynes_1

New FileMaker 11 Server Time/Date Stamp affects Backups

TimReed

Title

New FileMaker 11 Server Time/Date Stamp affects Backups

Your post

We recently upgraded from FileMaker Server 9 to 11 and noticed our online backups were growing exponentially. This was caused by FileMaker’s new (mandatory) Time/Date stamp on backed-up folders, which causes our remote backup to see each backup as new files, rather than updated copies of the same file.

I understand the usefulness for this with mutiple backups, but is there any way to disableitor SINGLE backups?Or is the only fix to downgrade to Server 9?

Thanks,

• 1. Re: New FileMaker 11 Server Time/Date Stamp affects Backups
          philmodjunk

down grading is not the only fix, you can set up a system script using VBscript or another language to move the most recent backup to a directory where your backup software can find it. This script can be scheduled to run after the filemaker backup has completed.

Please note that keeping multiple dated backups is a very good idea. We keep from 21 to 28 daily backups and move one such backup a month into an archive folder. We do this because a problem (data entry error, developer mistake, file corruption) often isn't discvered immediately and the ability to roll back to a a many days older copy is an invaluable safety net.

• 2. Re: New FileMaker 11 Server Time/Date Stamp affects Backups
            MartinBrändle

If your backup software is able to do differential backups (which most backup software is), it should only copy the new files.

Or when you had FMS 9, was the backup software overwriting the previous backup with the current backup? Then you should improve your backup policy as PhilModJunk suggested.

• 3. Re: New FileMaker 11 Server Time/Date Stamp affects Backups
              MHaynes_1

Sorry that you did not get a clear answer to your question.  Apparently, in a phenomenal display of infinite wisdom, the FM 11 developers chose not to provide a way to turn-off these confounded time-stamped folders, forcing me too into revising my backup scripts to accommodate this upgrade.  Nice work team.  Not.

• 4. Re: New FileMaker 11 Server Time/Date Stamp affects Backups
                TimReed

Thanks for your responses, but ya - never got a easy fix for that one.

My final workaround was to do our remote backups weekly instead of daily, then manually delete the every few months.  Our local backups (backups of the FM backup folder) are still done daily, but still larger.

Things were MUCH simpler when the folder's name didn't change with each day.  But now, the backup software sees each new time-stamped folder and thinks "Hey, it's a brand new folder!" and makes a new copy without replacing the old one. 

My suggestion to FileMaker is to NOT place backups into time-stamped folders when the user instructions FM Server to keep only ONE copy of the backup.  In this case, you really don't need time-stamped folders since you'll only ever have one (and you can tell when it was done by looking at the last modified dates). 

I tell ya, sometimes upgrading just creates more problems than it solves. 

• 5. Re: New FileMaker 11 Server Time/Date Stamp affects Backups
                  MHaynes_1

"sometimes upgrading just creates more problems than it solves"  Got that right.  As in 4 hours spent revisiting and revising AppleScripts to accommodate this unnecessarily rigid new "feature".