9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2010 10:52 AM by TSGal

Newbie - FM 10 Adv. Server (Mac OSX) - default path for database on separate volumes?

groovebox

Title

Newbie - FM 10 Adv. Server (Mac OSX) - default path for database on separate volumes?

Your post

Good afternoon,

A newbie to these FM Forums! And a Kiwi to boot!

Need a pointer or a kick in the right direction if you have a moment to spare...have had a pretty good read of the manual and spent some time searching these forums. The answer is prob in front of me but I can't see it.

Am running FM Server 10.x Adv. on a dual-G5 running OSX (client not OSX Server) 10.5.x. I have the main volume (Macintosh HD) and also inside the G5 is a separate HD (called "fm_data") where I want to store my databases. (On that HD is a folder called "dev" - so the path to the folder where I want to store the databases to live would be "...fm_data/dev..." or something like that.)

[Rather then them living in the "Library/FileMaker Server/Data/Databases/" folder.]

When I login using the Admin console - go to "default databases" - click the checkbox and I have tried a number of path names and nothing validates.

Have tried "/fm_data/dev/" and also variations on "/Volumes/fm_data/dev/" and "filemac:/fm_data/dev" and so on.

I am sure this is probably documented somewhere but if anyone would care to point me to a KB article or a page number it'd be most welcomed.

Other then that the G5 hardware and FM Server Adv. is working just dandy.

Respect.

Brynley

• 1. Re: Newbie - FM 10 Adv. Server (Mac OSX) - default path for database on separate volumes?
          TSNanner

There are specific permissions necessary for FileMaker Server 9 to be able to validate an alternate database folder.

In order to add the correct group and owner's permissions to the folder you will need to launch Terminal
          (Terminal can be located in: MacHD:\Applications\Utilities\Terminal.app)

When Terminal is open you will need to type in the following command to change the owner to FMServer:
          (See *Note* about folder path before executing the command)

sudo chown -R FMServer /folder path/

After entering the command you will be prompted for your Administrator password.

Now you will need to change the group to FMSAdmin which can be done with the following command:

sudo chgrp fmsadmin /folder path/

Once you have successfully completed both commands, browse to the folder you just changed the permissions on.

You will need to Get Info on the folder by highlighting it and going to the File Menu > Get Info
          In the Get Info window you should have a Sharing & Permissions section and you will need to authenticate to make changes.

Make sure FMServer and FMSAdmin are listed in the Sharing & Permissions section, and that both have Read & Write permissions.

*Note* In the example commands /folder path/ is the folder path where you plan to store the additional databases. You can drag the folder to the Terminal Window and it will enter the folder path for you.

Once you have verified the permissions on your additional database folder are correct, you should then be able to validate the additional database folder path. Make sure when you are adding the additional database folder you type it up including a final slash as follows: filemac:/volume_name/folder_path/

I hope this helps, please let me know the results.

TSNanner

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Newbie - FM 10 Adv. Server (Mac OSX) - default path for database on separate volumes?
            groovebox

Yep - that worked! I was a bit worried when you mentioned FM9 at the beginning (not that I would have known anything better).

But... yes it worked 100% and I really appreciate the fullness of your answer. It helped me out of a spot. Maybe that could be added to knowledgebase somewhere to help others.

:smileyhappy:

Many thanks for that.

Brynley

• 3. Re: Newbie - FM 10 Adv. Server (Mac OSX) - default path for database on separate volumes?
              pking
                 I seem to be having the same issue, except I am running FileMaker Server 10 on a Window 2003 server.  The software is installed on the C drive and I want to store the databases on the D drive.  I have created a folder named Databases with a subfolder Data and another folder entitled Backups.  In the Admin Console I try to set the default folder as filewin:/D:/Databases/Data/, but get the Not a Valid Path error.  I have checked the permissions on the folders and they look good to me, but I may be missing something.  Any suggestions? 
              • 4. Re: Newbie - FM 10 Adv. Server (Mac OSX) - default path for database on separate volumes?
                philmodjunk

Just to rule out the obvious, is D: an internal drive or an external drive? (Is D: a mapped network drive.)

(I wouldn't think so from your description, but have learned never to assume.)

• 5. Re: Newbie - FM 10 Adv. Server (Mac OSX) - default path for database on separate volumes?
                  pking
                     The local hard drive is divided into C, D, E, and F partitions.  It is an internal drive.  The C partition is only 32 GB so I want to try to avoid placing the database files there.  If all else fails, I may need to repartition to make the C larger and then use the standard path.  (I really want to avoid having to do this.) 
                  • 6. Re: Newbie - FM 10 Adv. Server (Mac OSX) - default path for database on separate volumes?
                    philmodjunk
                       I can do what you are describing on my Windows 2003 server, thus it should work. I can't see any obvious errors in the file path you've posted.
                    • 7. Re: Newbie - FM 10 Adv. Server (Mac OSX) - default path for database on separate volumes?
                      obeechi

As far as a knowledge base goes: it might just be the few words: "know unix, know bash". Short of that a good grasp of OSX is reduced to just eye candy. The Finder, in general, is a subset of what can be done in Terminal, and I think it will take me a lifetime to realize what can be done with OSX alone, much less all the good stuff that comes with it. Just so you know, a folder named dev is going to remind some people of a folder named dev meant for storing devices as files.

As long as the topic of two hard drives was raised, I'm curious what the standard approach is for the home folders hierarchy. Meaning, if the second volume is meant for data primarily and the first volume for applications primarily, then does one typically keep the home folders in volume one with pointers (aka links, aliases) inside each home folder for corresponding home folders on volume two (where all the data is stored for these folders)? 

• 8. Re: Newbie - FM 10 Adv. Server (Mac OSX) - default path for database on separate volumes?
                        rob-d

This is not working for me!

I'm running:

• FileMaker Server Version: 10.0v2 (06-03-2009) / 10.0.2.206 (no updates are available)
                        • OS X Server 10.6.2

This is on a new xserve with 3 x 1TB drives as a single volume which is available as /Volumes/store01

I've followed this thread and also some others.

I've double and tripple checked the permissions on the path / drive. Here is the console output.

hostname:~ root# ls -lah /Volumes/store01 |grep fmp
                        drwxrwxr-x   2 fmserver     fmsadmin    68B Nov  7 18:05 fmp10data

It doesn't seem to matter who owns the path or what the permissions are, these paths refuse to validate!

filemac:/Volumes/store01/fmp10data/

filemac:/store01/fmp10data/

What else am I missing? All pointers gratefully received!

• 9. Re: Newbie - FM 10 Adv. Server (Mac OSX) - default path for database on separate volumes?
                          TSGal

rob-d:

Thank you for your post, and I apologize for the late reply.

Are you able to open/save files to the local hard disk?  That is, to the drive where your system is located?  Is /Volumes/store01/ the drive where the System is located?

I know it has been almost two months since your post, so if you have found a solution, please post it here so others can benefit.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.