10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2009 3:29 PM by webskipper

Newbie - Uploading Multiple Databases to FM Server

webskipper

Title

Newbie - Uploading Multiple Databases to FM Server

Your post

Lots of questions:

I have multiple populated databases to upload to our FM Server (20).  I managed to start with one successfully online.  

How is it done and how does a Staff Member navigate through them so it looks like a seemless site?  

How does the domain show instead of the IP address?  We have ordered a Static IP.

Since we plan on using the Server and FM Pro to eventually run the whole site, how do we do this?

• 1. Re: Newbie - Uploading Multiple Databases to FM Server
          TSGal

webskipper:

Thank you for your post.

Since you were able to get one database file successfully online, follow the same procedure for the remaining files.

Are you showing the files via Instant Web Publishing?  Custom Web Publishing using PHP?  Custom Web Publishing using XML and XSLT?  If Instant Web Publishing, the home screen should present you with a listing of available database files.  Select the one you want to use and log in.

If the domain name resolves to an IP address, then you should be able to enter the domain name in the browser.

This should probably get you pointed in the right direction.  Please let me know if you need clarification for any of the above steps.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Newbie - Uploading Multiple Databases to FM Server
            webskipper

I am using Instant Web Publishing.  Server is going to host the "Members Only" area. We would like a few databases to be accessible by members and others to be accessible only by Staff, and of course Admin will have unlimited access.

From your post it sounds like I need to be crafty and name all the Home pages, etc something unique so that everyone can navigate properly. 

It would be nice to upload them all at once so that the hierarchy could be already established. 

How do you mask the Static IP with a domain name? HTAccess?

• 3. Re: Newbie - Uploading Multiple Databases to FM Server
              TSGal

webskipper:

You can have certain user names and passwords only view selected layouts, or even selected fields on a layout.  That way, you can hide information from certain people.

If all of your database files are similar, is there a reason why you don't put all the tables into one database file?  This would save with the access privileges.

All domain names resolve to an IP address.  I'm not familiar with HTAccess, so I can't answer this properly.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Newbie - Uploading Multiple Databases to FM Server
                webskipper

All the tables are in one DB but, I can only upload them individually in PHP Asst.  Is this right?  I'd like all 25 tables in one site.  Can you recommend a way to do this?

The cable company said that once the static ip is in place then we can set up a sub-domain to mask the FMS IP. 

• 5. Re: Newbie - Uploading Multiple Databases to FM Server
                  TSGal

webskipper:

Sorry for the confusion.  I was under the impression you were using Instant Web Publishing; not PHP.

Having all 25 tables in one database file will make things easier, since PHP Site Assistant only uses one database file.  I'm really not going to provide a tutorial on PHP, so I would encourage you to look at the I"Custom Web Publishing with PHP" documentation that came with FileMaker Pro Server.  You can also view it online at:

http://www.filemaker.com/downloads/pdf/fms10_cwp_php_en.pdf

If you decide PHP is too difficult to learn, then Instant Web Publishing is definitely possible with the correct Access Privileges.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: Newbie - Uploading Multiple Databases to FM Server
                    webskipper

All the tables are in one DB.  I used IWP to create the theme and saved them all to the desktop of the iMac FM Server.  

The public can view the fm pro db at http://IP_ADDRESS/fmi/iwp/res/ but that's just the raw theme.

I can view the file-name.phpsa online but no one else can.  If the php files are uploaded to the web host then nothing is found.  

What am I supposed to be doing? 

• 7. Re: Newbie - Uploading Multiple Databases to FM Server
                      TSGal

webskipper:

If you're able to view the PHP files, but others cannot, that usually means that the server is not allowing incoming connections, but since others were able to see the files via Instant Web Publishing, I'm at a loss.  The only other possibility is if the extended privileges in the database are not set for Custom Web Publishing with PHP, but then you wouldn't be able to see the file.

What information is appearing in the Web Publishing Engine application log?

Is the file being hosted on Windows or Mac OS X?

What are the exact steps you took to get the file ready for Customer Web Publishing and where are the files located?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 8. Re: Newbie - Uploading Multiple Databases to FM Server
                        webskipper

In PHPSA generated and previewed the directories and matching PHPSA files and saved to the Desktop.  I then transferred them to the HD > library > WebServer directory.  So I guess they are still in Preview mode?

I guess I am not understanding what public address is to be used to view these as a regular web site.  Do I use the IP address at the Server or the external Ip Address?  It's all French to me.

I do not see any results in the Server Log Viewer. 

I have followed the IWP guide but not all the images match Server 10 Advanced.  Apple says to not bother with the Port Exceptions because the ports are open by default. There must be a better way to navigate through a $3000 program.  

File Maker Tech Support demands money in exchange for direct help and tells customers to get help on this Forum.  That's terrible business practices.

I'd appreciate it if you can PM me.

• 9. Re: Newbie - Uploading Multiple Databases to FM Server
                          TSGal

webskipper:

Preview Mode has nothing to do with the files in the WebServer directory.  Just make sure the files are open in FileMaker Server.

From the Admin Console, make sure the file shows Web Publishing with PHP.

Make sure the web server and the Web Publishing Engine are running.

Make sure PHP Publishing is enabled in the Web Publishing Engine.  You can do this by opening the FileMaker Server Technology Tests page at:

http://<server>:16000/test

(where <server> is the machine on which the FileMaker Server resides.)

Click the link Test PHP Custom Web Publishing to open a PHP page that accesses the FMServer_Sample test database.

The Instant Web Publishing Guide is not for PHP.  You should be looking at the Custom Web Publishing with PHP guide.  You can also find it online at:

http://www.filemaker.com/downloads/pdf/fms10_cwp_php_en.pdf

Yes, if you need immediate help, you can talk directly to our Technical Support department for a fee.  The forum is no cost.

I have sent you a private message (top of this page - right side - X Messages).

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 10. Re: Newbie - Uploading Multiple Databases to FM Server
                            webskipper
                               I believe the issue is revolving around the Static IP address and Port Forwarding to the 2 iMacs.  Trying to resolve that right now with the Cable Company.