3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2011 8:25 PM by LenUnkeless

Newbie here trying to help someone

LenUnkeless

Title

Newbie here trying to help someone

Your post

Hey all,

I have no knowledge of how FM works, so please be nice to me. I have a client whose network I just setup. When I started hooking things up, I noticed a second machine under his desk that was switched off. He told me it was his server for his database. Fine. Hooked it up and turned it on. Workstation wouldn't talk to it. I noticed the UNC mapping was to a different subnet, so I redid the subnet on his router to get things working. Still no go. I switched his KVM over to the server. It's a Win2K workstation (not a server), and it's falling apart. Wouldn't even boot and he forgot all the passwords to log into the thing. Now I'm in trouble. I tried all the password hacks, etc. and found his Administrator account had been wiped out. Funzee. So I pulled the drive and took ownership of everything and found the last mod date on any .fm5 file was 10-28-2010. In theory, he hasn't touched it since then.

So much for the background. I figure I should try and move all the .fm5 files to his workstation since the "server" is going quickly (not that the workstation is much better). He's running FM5 server on the "server" and an FM5 client on the workstation. My question is can I move everything over and have it all work? My guess is I just have to tell FM5 client the new location of the folder with his files, right?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Len

• 1. Re: Newbie here trying to help someone

Len Unkeless:

Thanks for posting!

Do any other users connect beside him? If not, then a server won't necessary. You can just move the .fm5 files to his workstation and open them in FileMaker Pro directly.

If he does have other users connecting, you'll need to install FileMaker Server on a different machine and host the files from there. If this is the case, you may want to check out the FileMaker Server 5.5 Administrators Guide available here:

http://www.filemaker.com/products/filemaker-pro/docs/5/fms55_admin_guide.pdf

TSBear

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Newbie here trying to help someone
            philmodjunk

FileMaker Pro 5.5 can also host the files provided you have a small number of users accessing the file. You open the files with FileMaker on one computer and the others would use Open Remote... to access the hosted files. 5.5 does support 3 different network protocols unlike today's version so if he didn't set up for TCP/IP, you may have to check on network protocol settings as well.

You might point out to your client that the days he can continue to use a version as old as this are probably numbered...

• 3. Re: Newbie here trying to help someone
              LenUnkeless

Thanks much guys. I have the latest files, and I'll just drop that folder on to his workstation and let him run it from there. It's only one user, so a server seems overkill, and this "server" which isn't a server at all, will enjoy a much overdue retirement.