5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2009 9:51 AM by TSGal

non-Intel Macs can't connect to Server v.10 databases

MacGeekGal

Title

non-Intel Macs can't connect to Server v.10 databases

Your post

Running FM Server v.10 on a standalone brand-new Intel iMac on OS X Leopard 10.5.6 (NOT OS X Server), all OS updates run. Intel Macs can connect fine to the served databases, but non-Intel Macs cannot see the databases. What am I missing? This is all in one office at a university all on the same subnet (though future clients on another subnet will need to connect in the future). TIA...

• 1. Re: non-Intel Macs can't connect to Server v.10 databases
          user9820

I had the same problem with FM-server adv. running on a Leopard Xserve machine. But the problem is not consistent: the affected mac's were all iMac tft (G4-800MHz) machines running FileMaker Pro 9 and Mac OSX 10.4.11. On a e-Mac this problem did not occur. Also the problem was sometimes limited to some accounts. So I tried deleting the Filemaker preferences in the library folder of the user account but this did not do the trick.

Installing FileMaker 10 solved the problem, after installation miraculously FileMaker 9 could see the files on the server.

If you don't have FMPro 10, try installing the eval version (free download) and test FMPro 9 after it. If this works you can put the FMPro 10 eval folder to the trashcan so doubleclicking on a database does not activate the wrong version. It may be wise to test before you emptythe trashcan.

I guess there is some weird conflict of the FMPro 9 settings with FMServer 10.

• 2. Re: non-Intel Macs can't connect to Server v.10 databases
            MacGeekGal
               Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it and, alas, it didn't work. The Mac in question is an iMac G5 PowerPC on Tiger 10.4.11.
            • 3. Re: non-Intel Macs can't connect to Server v.10 databases
              TSGal

MacGeekGal:

Thank you for your post.

If you open a FileMaker Pro file on the PowerPC Mac and turn on Network Sharing, are the other Macs able to access the file?

Is there more than one PowerPC Mac on the network?  Or, is this the only one?

Are you able to access the file by IP Address?  That is, assuming the file is named "Test.fp7" and is hosted at IP address 111.111.111.111, go into "Open Remote" and enter:

fmnet:/111.111.111.111/Test.fp7

Does this work?

Any additional information you can provide may be helpful in narrowing the possible causes.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: non-Intel Macs can't connect to Server v.10 databases
                MacGeekGal

Hi there,

I don't know the answer to your first question as I haven't tested that.

Yes, there is more than one PowerPC Mac on the local area network.

I am not able to access the file by IP address from the non-Intel Mac. That is what I was trying to begin with and is what works with the Intel Macs.

Thanks for any help you can provide! 

• 5. Re: non-Intel Macs can't connect to Server v.10 databases
                  TSGal

MacGeekGal:

Thank you for the additional information.  I was hoping you would have tested sharing a file on a PowerPC.

In any case, let's copy the server.pem file from one of the working machines.  This can be found inside the FileMaker Pro application bundle.  Perform the following steps:

1. On one of your Intel Macs, right-click (or control-click) the FileMaker Pro 10 icon, and select the option "Show Package Contents"

2. Open the "Contents" folder, open the "MacOS" folder, and one of the files you will see is "server.pem".  Somehow, get this file to the PowerPC machine.

3. On one of the non-Intel Macs, right-click (or control-click) the FileMaker Pro 10 icon, and select the option "Show Package Contents"

4. Open the "Contents" folder, open the "MacOS" folder, and replace the "server.pem" file with the "server.pem" file from the working Intel Mac.

Launch FileMaker Pro 10, and see if you can now see the files on the Intel Mac machines.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.