1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2009 7:09 AM by IanBlackburn

Not a valid path

jameykey

Title

Not a valid path

Your post

Mac OS 10.4.11

FMS8.0v4

my normal backups to the startup disk work fine. 

I am trying to schedule a backup to an external firewire drive. I have filemac:/DriveName/Folder/

But when the schedule fires, I get an error in the log:  Backup aborted. Invalid backup destination: filemac:/DriveName/Folder/

Any suggestions on how to get it to backup to the external drive?

Jamey 

• 1. Re: Not a valid path
          rmanook

Hi jamey1,

Thanks for posting.

The additional backup (and database) folder needs to be located on the local machine.  It can, however, be located on a different drive on that machine.

Once that backup is created, you can move it to the external HDD or possibly create an AppleScript or such to copy the file to the external HDD.

Hope this helps.

Thanks!

tsturtle

FileMaker, inc. 

• 2. Re: Not a valid path
            jameykey

OK, so it cannot be a drive connected to the the server by firewire?  It shows up right on the desktop.  Are you saying it must be an additional INTERNAL drive?  I didnt think that would make a difference.

Jamey 

• 3. Re: Not a valid path
              rmanook

Hi jamey1,

That's correct, the additional backup folder should be an internal drive.   For more information on valid folders, check out the Tips for Valid Folders Help Menu article in the FileMaker Server Help section.  I posted the article below for your convenience.

Hope this helps.

Thanks!

tsturtle

FileMaker, Inc.

The folders you specify as a backup folder and as an additional database folder must be valid.
                •
              Specify a folder on a local volume, not on a remote volume.
              If you want to store database backups on a remote volume, first backup the database to a local volume, and then copy the backup to a remote volume.
                •
              Ensure that the folder has permissions set correctly so that FileMaker Server can read and write to the folder.
              (Mac OS) The folder must be owned by the user fmserver (or in the group fmsadmin).
                •
              Specify the folder as an absolute path:
                •
              Windows: The path you enter must start with filewin:/ and end with a slash (/).
              For example, filewin:/driveLetter/folderName/
                •
              Mac OS: The path you enter must start with filemac:/ and end with a slash (/).

For example, filemac:/volumeName/folderName/ 

• 4. Re: Not a valid path
                MikeyG79

It's stupid things like this that make me not like FM.

It's entirely possible to have an external drive hooked up that's faster than the internal drives, or with a better RAID setup. 

• 5. Re: Not a valid path
                  koryb
                     Very disappointing. I just spent two days deploying FMS 10 on a new MacMini, migrating my databases over, etc. It runs great. I have an external WiebeTech RTX-200 connected, allowing for simple off-site backups. Now I find out the FMS can't back up to an external device? Ridiculous.
                  • 6. Re: Not a valid path
                    mwc_1

(is it something FW vs. USB??)

I have an external USB2 Drive connected to My FMS9 that I do one of my backups to...without any problem....

Backup Folder-   filemac:/Fantom80/Filemaker_OASIS/Server9_Scheduled_BU/1115_Daily_FANTOM/

This is on a MacMini with OSX 10.5.5.

So it DOESN'T need to be an INTERNAL DRIVE, my external local drive works fine.

You CAN'T (unfortunately) use a mounted network drive for a FMS scheduled backup....and not having that functionality in the FMServer that IS ABSOLUTELY REDICULOUS !!

• 7. Re: Not a valid path
                      koryb

mwc - THANK YOU! In fact I was able to establish backups from our Mac mini (10.5 Server) to the WiebeTech RTX-200 I have attached to it (FW 400 to FW 800).

In reading the thread I concluded this was not possible, but your message encouraged me to play with it further. Turns out all I needed to do was alter the permissions of my external volume to ensure that the fmsadmin user had read/write privileges to it. With these set properly this destination was verified as a "Valid Path".

Many thanks! 

• 8. Re: Not a valid path
                        davidhead

mwc wrote: 

You CAN'T (unfortunately) use a mounted network drive for a FMS scheduled backup....and not having that functionality in the FMServer that IS ABSOLUTELY REDICULOUS !! 

Ummm, you are obviously a FileMaker engineer and know how you would get that working in a reliable manner.
                        If that is NOT the case then you might consider toning your comments down to something along the lines that it would be a really useful feature if the obvious problems with flaky network connections, etc., could be resolved. 

• 9. Re: Not a valid path
                          MikeyG79

seems to me that having the ability to backup to a network drive would be a great feature to have. Why not have it part of FM, rather than using another vendors product.

We have our own network backup system (written using rsync) and it hasn't had any problems with the network at all. In fact, there have been fewer networking issues than harddrive/controller/server issues. 

• 10. Re: Not a valid path
                            mwc_1

Ummmmmmm, don't understand your reasoning for singling me out  uLearnIT , to offer "Tone-Down" advice?

If I was a Filemaker Engineer and was allowed to add that function to the server then I'd be happy as a clam. 

I simply mirrored and expanded the point that not allowing a backup over a network drive is ReDiCuLoUs. I have sent feedback and requests along the same lines. I responded to this thread because I saw someone was given some incorrect information on a thread marked solved.  I don't have problems with flaky network connections, and push hundreds of gigs of data around my network reliably on a daily basis. Dozens (if not hundreds) of programs allow writing or just plain copying of data to network storage volume. To not have this option NATIVE to the FMS is a glaring oversight from my network admin viewpoint.

• 11. Re: Not a valid path
                              davidhead

MikeyG79 wrote:

seems to me that having the ability to backup to a network drive would be a great feature to have. Why not have it part of FM, rather than using another vendors product.

I think this is an excellent feature request, and I'd like for you to enter this information into the following Product Suggestion area:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/feature_request.html

I would do this for you, but the form asks questions that only you can answer. 

• 12. Re: Not a valid path
                                TSGal

All:

All of these suggestions are good.  Please take a moment and enter them into our feature suggestion web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/feature_request.html

Yes, I could easily copy each suggestion and paste it into the form, but there are additional questions asked that only you can answer.

FYI - I have noticed that suggestions with real-life examples tend to garner more attention than suggestions that say "Add this feature".  Therefore, please explain why you want this feature.  Even though it may seem obvious, please explain YOUR situation, how it affects you, and if implemented, how much time/money it may save you.

mwc - The best way to have your suggestion ignored is to challenge us and call us names.  Therefore, take the cue from "uLearnIT" and tone down the comment(s) and suppositions when you enter the suggestion.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 13. Re: Not a valid path
                                  TSGal

All:

Sorry about that.  I didn't see the second page of posts.

"uLearnIT" - Thank you for posting the feature request form link.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 14. Re: Not a valid path
                                    MikeyG79
                                       FM is the only product I've come across that won't save data to a non-local drive. Why? Isn't the idea of backing up to save data in the case of something failing? Why is are there even checks in the software for this? Just save it  externally. This shouldn't have to be added by people requesting it on some webpage.
                                    1 2 Previous Next