1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 25, 2009 4:58 PM by FluffyBear

ODBC Between FMS10 Advanced and Oracle Slow

user7962

Title

ODBC Between FMS10 Advanced and Oracle Slow

Your post

When my FileMaker Server Advanced 10 (on a pc) which has EES connections to an Oracle (10g) view there is a lag of 30+ seconds for the user to get data back. When I have a script perform a SQL query the result is very fast (Mac with actual drivers or PC with Oracle Client installed and DSN and TSN configured). My Question: Is it typical for an ESS connection to be much slower than a query from a client directly hitting the Oracle server? My environment is a large university. The Oracle data warehouse I am requesting data from is extensive in terms of volume of data and number of tables. Please let me know if there is additional data I could provide to help me get useful input.

Thanks

Matt 

• 1. Re: ODBC Between FMS10 Advanced and Oracle Slow
          FluffyBear

Filemaker's odbc access is inefficient, that's why it is slow.  We run odbc between MySQL and FMS10 on OSX.  Having the exact same issue as you.  It's not the odbc layer, it's just FM make really bad calls.

Until they program more efficient ways of handling the data, you're not going to see any improvement.  If you want to know what the thing does,  run a query log on your oracle server and see all the extra stuffs that FM do to fetch a single result and you'll know why it's slow.